X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacchiri!

Passed 1 kyu today So thought I would jot down what happened, for anyone who's interested in grading in Japan...

Arrived at my uni dojo at seven to pack up bougu, and, with the lovely Oka-sempai and fellow prospective ikkyu-ee Tou, headed off to the dojo in Kaneda, Kitakyushu, to be confronted by a huge group of shou and chuugakusei As it turned out, there were one hundred and nineteen candidates, of which four (including myself) looked to be over the age of sixteen or so. We registered, got the big chalk numbers on our tare, and received a mock paper test for the shodan exam. We then changed, warmed up and generally got ready, and started at nine.

After the traditional set of speeches, which seem to be obligatory for any meeting comprising more than ten people over here, we were split into two groups for practice kirigaeshi, while the invigilating senseis offered pointers - mainly along the lines of lots of kiai, and large backswing on the kirigaeshi. After that, we were then divided up by our numbers, and split into two areas in order to take the exam itself.

We were again divvied up into groups of five, and then started. Firstly, one person performed kirigaeshi on another, and then the pair did a tachikiri (short jigeiko). The receiver then left, and the giver became the receiver for the next person, and then they did another tachikiri. The way the pairings worked out, I ended up as the first receiver - slight pain in the arse, cos I had to go in twice, but at least I got a break

And that was it, save for a final announcement that everyone had passed (even the bloke who fell over...), and a bit of hob-nobbing with the senseis afterwards.

All in all, I don't know what I was worring about to be honest. From nought to ikkyu in six months - go me!

ところで、小学生の剣道はほんとに可愛いだなぁ (^_^)

Nice work!!

Just wondering about two things...

First, the mock shodan exam, why do they give it to prospective ikkyu? Or was it to be returned completed when attending the shodan shinsa??

Second question, can the exams be offered in English, or when you test in Japan, must they be written in Japanese? (I guess the question is, if you can not read, write, or speak Japanese what grading obstacles will you face??)

Congrats again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr-Rogg
      Passed 1 kyu today So thought I would jot down what happened, for anyone who's interested in grading in Japan...
      Congrats!

Comment

Thank you

The mock paper's just to give students an idea what the shodan written paper is like. As for answering the thing, my sensei told me that you can ask to take the exam in English, and they will make an allowance for you.

Mind you, not much point in grading in Japan if you're not going to do it in Japanese

Comment

Thank you

The mock paper's just to give students an idea what the shodan written paper is like. As for answering the thing, my sensei told me that you can ask to take the exam in English, and they will make an allowance for you.

Mind you, not much point in grading in Japan if you're not going to do it in Japanese
          Well, the paper doesnt really matter until you get around 6th-7th dan..I wouldn't worry about the paper.

Jakob

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

The mock paper's just to give students an idea what the shodan written paper is like.

Originally posted by JSchmidt
              Well, the paper doesnt really matter until you get around 6th-7th dan..
              I thought Japanese shinsa had written exams starting at shodan like the BKA, which is why I couldnt understand why ikkyu 'candidates' received a mock copy.

By 'the paper' do you mean the shogo titles (renshi, kyoshi, hanshi,) those start at rokudan!

Comment

They do start from shodan - grading period here for shodan is in august, so people can look over the paper and have an idea what the exam is like in the two-odd months preceding.

Comment

Yes, they recieve a paper for shodan, but what you write on it, doesn't really matter

Jakob

Comment

good to know, just need to practice kata then I will put up the mock paper and translate it though, it's good language practice if nothing else...

Comment

Hey congrats on passing ikkyu!! I passed ikkyu out there too! Have u ever been to the Ju Ken Do Jo in Wakamatsu? That's where I passed. The kendo dojo is upstairs above the judo dojo and the floor is really springy! It was a grading for up til ikkyu... so there were loads of cute little 5 year olds running around in bogu with their cute squeaky little kiais! (Don't know who's talking here... I squeak when I kiai as well!!)

Omedetou gozaimasu!!

Comment

Working...
                      X