X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gradings 6th Kyu-2nd Kyu

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be required for the ranks of 6th Kyu-2nd Kyu. I know that most of the time these are awarded at the dojo level, but it would be nice to know what skills would be required at each level.

If this has been discussed already I appolgize in advance, its late, Im in a server room, and Im bored

Big kiah, big spirit,big cuts, reasonable footwork and ki-ken-tai. (It's the same all the way up to Shodan)

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
      Big kiah, big spirit,big cuts, reasonable footwork and ki-ken-tai. (It's the same all the way up to Shodan)

Jakob
      I agree. But for ikkyu and shodan, your cuts, footwork, and spirit-sword-body will obviously be more harshly judged. But if you concentrate on the things JSchmidt mentioned before, you won't having any problem earning your ranks. Just work hard!

Comment

in my dojo, every year we have an exam, as well as 3 other during the year, but for the final exam, we have a list of things we need to know, for yonkyu, this is what i needed to know,

Tellen van 1 tot 10 in het Japans
        Kendogi en hakama correct aandoen en knopen
        Bogu correct aandoen en knopen + tenugui (hoogddoek)
        De Japanse benaming kennen van drie plaatsen (Daitotsubui) waarop mag worden geslaan
        Shinai in elkaar steken
        De benamingen kennen van de onderdelen van de Shinai
        Verschil kennen tussen migi en hidari jodan
        Uchi yoko men (= zijwaartse slag op hoofd) uitvoeren
        Uchi do (= slag op buik) uitvoeren
        Zes suburi oefening kunnen uitvoeren (+ haya suburi VERPLICHT)
        Uchi-komi uitvoeren (te - men - do - kote/men - kote/do - kote/men/do
        + men/taiatairi/men - men/taiatairi/kote - men/taiatairi/do - men)
        Men Kirikaeshi uitvoeren (geen stop bij het opspannen)
        Vier shikake waza (= aanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi men
        Twee shikake waza (= aanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi kote
        En shikake waza (= aanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi do
        Men oji waza (= tegenaanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi men
        Men oji waza (= tegenaanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi vrije keuze
        Kote oji waza (= tegenaanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi vrije keuze
        Do oji waza (= tegenaanvalstechnieken) uitvoeren gevolgd door uchi vrije keuze
        Kata : ipponme, nihonme, sanbonme & yohonme twee kanten kunnen
        Jigeiko examen gevecht
        Kiai stevig en gebruiken als ademhaling en oppeppend ook aanvallend

sorry its in dutch, but most of it is japanese or quite obvious..

the last line says, kiai must be strong, be used as breath regulator, enhance spirit, and used as an attack

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses, that definatly helps

Comment

things they told me

dress properly, no zekken.
            Attack in keiko. but don't block another ones attack if he has you just let him have you you can turn around go in kamai and continue (blocking only loses valuable keiko time you could use to show how good you are ^_^) I was told in keiko for examination blocking is a nono. (offcourse if you can counter it's all good I ment pure blocking is not good)
            When doing kirikaeshi your stop must be forward and the move from yoko men to yoko men must be fluent and keep your left foot behind your right.

Comment

is it forbidden to have a zekken for under nikyu's?

i knew a sankyu in our dojo who had a zekken

Comment

Zekken is just a name-tag and got nothing to do with grade...as soon as you get your armour you should get one.

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
                  Zekken is just a name-tag and got nothing to do with grade...as soon as you get your armour you should get one.
                  I'd say ask your sensei, some clubs do this differently. Our sensei explained that when you wear the zekken, you are representing your club and so we give zekken to people who we feel are ready to do this. In our club, this has evolved into a tradition of presenting people with a zekken when they reach shodan.

Comment

Originally posted by Wout
                    things they told me

dress properly, no zekken.
                    The "no zekken" in testing is for judges to not give you special preference. Even the 5-dan candidates have no zekken.

As far as receiving zekken only based on worthiness to represent you club: I say the sensei should give you zekken but not ask you to attend public shiai until he or she thinks you are ready. Zekken is the most important part of your uniform. It is the only thing that gives you identity in the most subtle manner.

... unless you kick ass like * ****** ******

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly
                      Zekken is the most important part of your uniform. It is the only thing that gives you identity in the most subtle manner.
                      How is having your name spelled out in large white letters "subtle"?

At any rate, your opinion or mine matters not a bit - what matters is the policy at your own dojo, so as always ask your sensei. I only brought up our own policy to illustrate that it is not always the same everywhere you go.

Comment

i think maybe it is nikyu for our dojo,
                        as my sempai, wout, care to speculate?

Comment

I just ment not wearing a zekken on your exam, during practice a zekken is surely allowed. how else will you be recognised ^_^

Comment

heh I got my zekken through the club when I was rokyu, they were ordered in bulk and are alll kinda similar, it's more a question of availabity then 'when' you are ready I think.

BTW sungi, I'm not your sempai benji is or sometimes you are your own sempai ^_^

Comment

doesnt sempai refer to anyone higher/older than you?

i always thought sempai meant higher person or elder and "the" sempai was the highest in ur dojo...

benjamin is the sempai of antwerpen kids? what about hans? i've never seen benji coming to the kids class ever...

id say my sempai was louis...

Comment

Working...
                              X