X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstExam

I just started kendo this July and there's promotions in November. Will I take this chance and get ranked, or will I skip until next year? But by that time, I will be wearing bogu.
    Would like to hear your thoughts...

you can try and ask your sensei's permission if you can take this examination cause, in your case, you've just started doing kendo for a few months. i'm guessing that the examination you are talking about is the examination for the 6th-2nd kyu.

Comment

well it depends on things like how often you practice a week...
      however after 3 months of practice I intended my first grading and had 4th kyu so I think you should try it - even if you fail it allows you to meet new people.

Comment

Hi, I have a quick question I'd like to ask, so I'll just post it here instead of creating a new thread.

Since I have only been doing kendo for about 3 months, I'm technically at 10 kyu, right? Because I heard if you are an adult starting kendo, you start at 8th kyu, and if you're not an adult(under 18, I guess) you start at 10th kyu. Is this true?

Assuming I'm correct in my above statement, here's my question: What do you do for examinations in 10th-7th kyu? I've only heard of examinations for for 6th-2nd and higher on up. Anyone know?

Comment

i'm quite sure that japanese dojos start at 6th kyu and korean dojangs start at 10kyu(forgot the korean word for kyu). everyone starts at 6th kyu, as far as i know.

~taganahan

Comment

Korean

Kyu is Gup in korean.

Comment

Originally posted by taganahan
              i'm quite sure that japanese dojos start at 6th kyu and korean dojangs start at 10kyu(forgot the korean word for kyu). everyone starts at 6th kyu, as far as i know.

~taganahan
              Well, I do kendo, not kumdo. So, I'm 6th kyu then? All this time I've been saying I'm 10th kyu. Everybody at the summr camp I went to must have thought I did kumdo.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmgren-san
                Well, I do kendo, not kumdo. So, I'm 6th kyu then? All this time I've been saying I'm 10th kyu.
                If you havn't tested and passed a rank exam, you've no rank at all. 6th kyu is for people who've passed a 6th kyu exam.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Enfield
                  If you havn't tested and passed a rank exam, you've no rank at all. 6th kyu is for people who've passed a 6th kyu exam.
                  you've no rank at all = mu-kyu

Comment

Alright then. Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me.

Comment

I have a question...
                      well im a mu-kyu cos i have no rank at all..jaja
                      but to get to 2nd kyu u must pass first 6th kyu, then 5th kyu, etc.... up to 2nd kyu???
                      Or there is a general test to all of the unranked , and how well you do you get ranked between 6th to 2nd kyu????

And second question...do you have to be 2nd kyu to be able to do the test of 1st kyu????
                      well...thats all

Comment

Originally posted by ramamaiden
                        I have a question...
                        but to get to 2nd kyu u must pass first 6th kyu, then 5th kyu, etc.... up to 2nd kyu???
                        Or there is a general test to all of the unranked , and how well you do you get ranked between 6th to 2nd kyu????

And second question...do you have to be 2nd kyu to be able to do the test of 1st kyu????
                        well...thats all
                        Well I don't know about other federations, but in the US for your first test you can do open testing and the judges will assign you a rank between 6th kyu and 2nd kyu. Also if you do very well they may ask you to come back and do kata, and if you pass the kata they'll give you 1st kyu (but that's pretty rare ).

As for your second question...I don't think it's necessary to be 2nd kyu first as some people test for 1 kyu as their first test.

Comment

Originally posted by ramamaiden
                          I have a question...

well...thats all
                          Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Comment

Holmgren,

Good luck for your exam.

RIrwan

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                              Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
                              Best movie EVER

P.S. You shall call me...............Tim?

Comment

Working...
                              X