Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Rank Requirements? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rank Requirements?

    Just curious...does anyone know the age/time in previous grade requirements for yudansha? What about kyoshi/renshi/hanshi?

  • #2
    http://www.kendo-usa.org/rank.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks DCPan, that's what I was lookin' for

      Comment


      • #4
        i have a question about rank. I was reading some threads a couple of days ago and its said you have to be 3rd Dan to do Jodan or at maybe just practice it. Why is this? thanks,

        Noah

        Comment


        • #5
          You don't have to be that level. Many people feel that you should have good chudan kendo before trying jodan, and sandan is often named as a level where your chudan should be good enough to switch. But there are other factors such as whether you are suited to jodan and whether you have anyone to teach you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
            You don't have to be that level. Many people feel that you should have good chudan kendo before trying jodan, and sandan is often named as a level where your chudan should be good enough to switch. But there are other factors such as whether you are suited to jodan and whether you have anyone to teach you.
            Thanks, Neil-san. I thought I would like to try it because I'm pretty tall (5'9 at 13). And I heard it was mostly for the taller ones.

            P.S. You better watch out guys! I'm comin to town! hehe

            P.P.S. Please don't hurt me! (huddles into a ball sobbing)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kenshin13
              Thanks, Neil-san. I thought I would like to try it because I'm pretty tall (5'9 at 13). And I heard it was mostly for the taller ones.

              P.S. You better watch out guys! I'm comin to town! hehe

              P.P.S. Please don't hurt me! (huddles into a ball sobbing)
              Hey,

              No fair!

              Being in Jodan for you usually means tsuki practice for others...but I don't think we are allowed to tsuki you until you are a few years older.

              FWIW

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DCPan
                Hey,

                No fair!

                Being in Jodan for you usually means tsuki practice for others...but I don't think we are allowed to tsuki you until you are a few years older.

                FWIW
                hehehe....excellent. MUWAHAHA!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  if you dont understand seme, you wont be able to use the other kamae effectively. Thats the reason why sensei tell people to wait till they are san dan to so another kamae. Unless you have a jodan or nito sensei, you wont get anywhere with a new kamae. You will just become one of the people that get laughed at for looking really stupid. I am not saying dont do it, but like everything in kendo, have patients.

                  about rank
                  I think they give out rank like its going out of style. there are alot of people that do crappy kendo but have high ranks. maybe its just a problem we have here in so cal, but i feel like we give ranks so that people do not stop doing kendo....thats pretty dumb in my book!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by misterkurukuru
                    if you dont understand seme, you wont be able to use the other kamae effectively. Thats the reason why sensei tell people to wait till they are san dan to so another kamae. Unless you have a jodan or nito sensei, you wont get anywhere with a new kamae. You will just become one of the people that get laughed at for looking really stupid. I am not saying dont do it, but like everything in kendo, have patients.
                    I have pretty good patience. Hmm....nito also intrigued me too....does anyone know if we have a nito sensei at Obukan? Just curious...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No, I don't believe we do. It's probably quite early for you to consider Nito or Jodan play yet though. Getting into Bogu would be a good next step.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paikea
                        Getting into Bogu would be a good next step.
                        Bahahahahahaha - and he/she is already thinking of jodan and nito?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Oops, perhaps that came off as a bit of a jibe (didn't mean it that way). Kenshin13's a good guy, he's enthusiastic and wants to learn everything - we need more of that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andoru
                            Bahahahahahaha - and he/she is already thinking of jodan and nito?
                            I'm a he. And no not really. I just like to learn


                            QUOTE=Paikea]Oops, perhaps that came off as a bit of a jibe (didn't mean it that way). Kenshin13's a good guy, he's enthusiastic and wants to learn everything - we need more of that.[/QUOTE]
                            awww....I'm touched!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andoru
                              Bahahahahahaha - and he/she is already thinking of jodan and nito?
                              I'm a he. And no not really. I just like to learn

                              Originally posted by Paikea
                              Oops, perhaps that came off as a bit of a jibe (didn't mean it that way). Kenshin13's a good guy, he's enthusiastic and wants to learn everything - we need more of that.
                              awww....Im touched!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X