X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advantages to ranking up

Hey, I've only been doing kendo since april, so I'm probably way to inexperienced to rank up anyway, but I was wondering, are there any advantages to ranking up? Like, will I not be permitted into certain shiai if i don't have a certain rank, or anything like that? thanks for the help!

one more thing, at what rank advancement is it necissary to have bogu? thanx again!

Comment

It may all be different where your from, but here in Perth you don't need to have graded to compete in shiai (as long as the respective sensei feels your ready)...

The one disadvantage to ranking up is that you reach shodan quicker and are competing at a higher level..im no authority by I feel the expierience you gain competing at kyu level has a big effect on the whole kendo/shiai learning process (i do however disaprove of kendoka who hold back grading with the sole hope of winning a big shiai - theres no honor in that).

At the end of the day, you show the grading pannel what you can do and they merit you with a grade that reflects where your up to - no big deal really, as with or without the grade your still the same kendoka? Gradings are good to help you stay focused on your personal goals but I don't feel there worth worrying about to much...you'll always get out what you put in

Comment

Test your Kendo

Our old sensei told us that there's only two ways of proving your Kendo is actually Kendo.. and that's through:
        1) Shiai - your strikes score points
        2) Grading Tests - your basics/technique pass the grading panel

Plus how are you ever going to discover the wonderful world of Tsuki and Jodan if you're stuck in Kyu?

Comment

Originally posted by neko kenshi
          one more thing, at what rank advancement is it necissary to have bogu? thanx again!
          Sam,

You get invited to begin wearing bogu by one of our Sensei (when he feels you are ready). You need bogu to participate in shiai and questions like this are best asked at practice!

Comment

The only advantage of rank is in tournaments and perhaps kendo seminar that limit the applicants to particular ranks.

By rank being an advantage in shiai, someone who is actually above the level they are currently ranked at are at an advantage because they should be in a higher division... cheaters...

Being ranked appropriately is more important because even if you lose in shiai to your opponent, at least you will learn something from it. Some of your most vivid learning experiences will be from shiai because once you are out, you are out. The whole elimination process and the fact that you want to keep going in tournaments but you got knocked out will make the mistakes that took you out much more memorable. (sorry for the run on sentence... deal with it )

Comment

Rank exams are a good way of challenging yourself, and a chance to have your kendo evaluated outside your dojo. They're also a good excuse to justify a kendo trip to your spouse ("but honey, the exam is only held in Vancouver").

Rank allows you to compete against people roughly your own level. Rank allows sensei at seminars to group people and target the training to the appropriate level.

You get to learn more interesting stuff. Sensei will say stuff like "now that you're x-dan, you need to change your kendo to work on (insert next level goal)".

Organizationally, some countries tie rank to certain privileges. For example in Canada, you need to be 2 dan to try out for the national team. You need to be 3 dan to go to the foreigner's kendo camp in Kitamoto. You need 4 dan to be officially considered instructor level. You need 4 dan to act as a referee at most bigger tournaments. You need to be 5 dan to run your own dojo - under that, you need to have a supervisor. You need to be 5 dan, and preferably 6 dan, to sit on a grading committee.

You might be noting that many of these "privileges" could also be considered "duties". Funny how that works...

Comment

Hmm... when i started kendo it was in a japanese high school... with very strict sempai-kohai system... fun... "Oi... kohai... fetch me a nice cold drink... and when youre done with that you can fold my hakama and keikogi and put my armour away... oh and I have a shinai that needs fixing!!"

FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by senki-kendo-jos
                  Hmm... when i started kendo it was in a japanese high school... with very strict sempai-kohai system... fun... "Oi... kohai... fetch me a nice cold drink... and when youre done with that you can fold my hakama and keikogi and put my armour away... oh and I have a shinai that needs fixing!!"

FUN!
                  real strong kenshi dont need to be baby'ed. they would fold their own hakama, and fix their own shinai. drinks... eh, you can ask nicely.

when eiga senshu came to california, i asked him if he would like me to fold his hakama. he said it was alright, and he would do it himself. proof that real good kenshi don't need to be baby'ed

wait... this has nothing to do with the forum

about rank... it doesnt matter what rank you are. rank doesnt determine skill. but i agree with how there is no honor in winning a shiai just because you were held back. if you're ready to move up, go for it. nothings holding you back but yourself.

Comment

I don't mean to be too anxious, I know I have a very long way to go before I can even think about wearing bogu, and I am sorry for having the question here rather than at practice, I guess I was just impatient (goes to show how much maturity have yet to gain), but while i'm posting, I have one more question: what are the costs of ranking up? and is it true that before a certain rank you don't need to go outside of your own dojo? (not that i'm ready or anywhere close to being ready, i'm just curious) thanx for all the info, it was helpful.

thanx again

Comment

I don't mean to be too anxious, I know I have a very long way to go before I can even think about wearing bogu, and I am sorry for having the question here rather than at practice, I guess I was just impatient (goes to show how much maturity have yet to gain), but while i'm posting, I have one more question: what are the costs of ranking up? and is it true that before a certain rank you don't need to go outside of your own dojo? (not that i'm ready or anywhere close to being ready, i'm just curious) thanx for all the info, it was helpful.

thanx again
                      Sam,

Would you do me a favor and send me your e-mail address? Mine is the same as my MSN Messenger address you can get from my user profile.

Thanks,

Comment

the answer to your question is: at whatever rank you can figure out what is "your" chudan no kamae and being able to use it efficiently.

Comment

Sry, I can't really find you're msn messenger, and I don't know what server of email you use, so I guess i'll just give you mine here, as I don't know how to leave perosnnal messages (boy, i'm helpless). so my email isl catzrok32@yahoo.com sry again-Sam

Comment

Don't be sorry, it's a good question.. I know some stuff now I didn't before from the replys. thx

Comment

Working...
                            X