X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikkyu

How long does it take to advance from rokkyu to ikkyu? Just wondering.

Talk about variables!
    1) what criteria your sensei uses to determine if you're ready to promote.
    2) how well you do kata
    3) how well you do keiko
    4) what type of spirit you show while practicing
    5) gee, don't really know.

One person in my dojo made shodan in 2 years, another made ikkyu in the same amount of time. It all depends on those pesky variables.

Comment

i guess the most important question is, how often do you have exams?

some dojos have only one exam a year.. so it would take long, others dont even use a kyu system, its just ikkyu, then onto the dan grades..

theres no way of saying how long it wld take

Comment

Sorry about this thread. Its kind of stupid. Well nobody needs to post anymore! Mahalo

Comment

Originally posted by Richiro
          Sorry about this thread. Its kind of stupid. Well nobody needs to post anymore! Mahalo
          I disagree! It seems to me that one of the first questions a noob asks is, "How long before I get promoted?" I'm still waiting for my first promotion after 10 months of practicing kendo. My sensei is "old school" in that he does not promote until he believes you are at the proper level of experience and that you are correctly executing your strikes. So, rokkyu is still my first goal in kendo. I am not hurrying, since it only makes it worse. When sensei says I'm rokkyu, then my next goal is gokyu, then on up the ladder to ikkyu and finally -dan! I have read that it can take upwards of 3 - 5 years, depending on the dojo and the people that are doing the grading. That's not to say you can't make it in less than that time, as my previous post in this thread illustrates.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, except the one you didn't ask. If you don't ask, you won't know, you won't learn, and you won't progress. You may think it's stupid, but chances are there are at least one or two other people who have the same question, but are afraid to ask. As a former certified Navy instructor, and a licensed teacher in the State of Ohio, I have come across that situation many times. No flames, because if you flame the person asking, they'll never ask again, and will probably never come back.

My advice is to keep those questions coming. Nobody knows everything about kendo, we all learn every day.

Comment

actually I'm going through that at the moment. Whether to sacrifice grade advancement for the quality of my kendo. I have been slack and haven't been going trainings for a while now..and i dun feel me kendo is ready to be ikkyu, since once you reach ikkyu, you are actually training as dan. I'm not really playing kendo for winning in competitions, but for personal development, i.e. physical (strength and fitness) and mental (patience and perseverance) but I know that I have been slack and actually have gone weaker and my skills aren't as sharp as it used to be. I will make a fresh start start for another half a year and try to get ready for ikkyu.

Comment

I thought that the lowest kyu that an adult is awarded is 3rd kyu. (4th, 5th, and 6th kyu are for only minors and children..... or if someone fails 3rd kyu).

At least that was my understanding..
              Actually, I am at a point where I don't really want to advance in rank anymore (not that its terribly high).... It feels like the higher the rank, the more expectations that yourself and others would have.... which really distracts me from "clearing my mind" during keiko....

Not to mention that it bumps me up to the next competition level where I know I will get creamed...

Comment

who cares about the rank..

learn kendo for yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by learnkendo
                  I thought that the lowest kyu that an adult is awarded is 3rd kyu.
                  Depends on the dojo, regional federation and national federation. In Canada, everything below ikkyu is up to the dojo. We don't bother with any ranks for adults, when the students are ready they can try ikkyu at the CKF exam. We give out kyu for kids though, along with fancy coloured patches.

Comment

Oh hey Neil, I just heard it was-38 degrees celsius in Canada last week, how do you train in that weather ? Do you have to that your shinai to use it ?

Comment

oops thaw ur shinai

Comment

Unlike Australia, houses and buildings in Canada are insulated and centrally heated and are actually more comfortable than Australian houses in wintertime. Usually we transport gear direct from house to car to dojo, but if it has to sit in the car for a while we usually let it warm up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokie
                          Oh hey Neil, I just heard it was-38 degrees celsius in Canada last week, how do you train in that weather ? Do you have to that your shinai to use it ?
                          -38! Last week we had -1C on a practice night and I kept thinking about frostbite and amputations. :O

Comment

hahah..after training better run to the car...or your sweaty gi might freeze !

Comment

oh wow..here in Aust we have opposite problem, dehydration..it's one of the driest, or maybe it is the driest continent on earth and it can get quite hot..sometimes reaching nearly 50 deg cel. Ppl lose liquid very very fast, and some ppl can just feint, we are really encouraged to drink lots of liquid before a hot training night/day.

Comment

Working...
                              X