X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyu testing

when one tests for 6kyu, 5kyu, 4kyu, 3kyu, etc..., what are you graded on/what do you have to do?
    i think i might test this month so i just want to be prepared and not be caught by surprise.

Grading under shodan appear to vary from country to country.

In Canada, your club presents you to the Canadian Kendo Federation for grading of 1st Kyu. Lower grades are the responsibility of individual clubs. Some clubs grade, others don't. For example, my first exam was for 1st kyu. During my years of work in limboland from a) non-bogu, to b) bogu , to c) allowed to go to my 1st kyu exam, I found the Singapore Kendo grading guidelines to be of help. Have fun,

http://www.singaporekendo.org.sg/kendo/grading.html

Comment

While I don't do kendo, I can only guesstimate that you'd be required to perform some number of wazas, maybe some two-person sparing to show specific moves or something. Check with one of your senior students to see what they had to do during their kyu tests.

Comment

For 6,5,4,3kyu.

-> Wear uniform and bogu correctly.
        -> Do Kirikeish right. Both hitting and receiving. You don't need to do it fast but do it right.
        -> You probably do 2 min of shiai to see your overall form. Again, be offensive. Attack. But do it right again. It is not a shia. It is test so try to hit right other opponents with right form. Back straight, loud Kiai, fumikomi, arm straight and so on...

Good luck !!!

Originally posted by DanDan
        when one tests for 6kyu, 5kyu, 4kyu, 3kyu, etc..., what are you graded on/what do you have to do?
        i think i might test this month so i just want to be prepared and not be caught by surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by DanDan
          Everything that Rainmaker said. I would also focus on footwork since you know how Sensei is a stickler to that. Make sure you keep your left foot behind the right when doing suriashi and try to keep those toes down. I'll be sure to help you out at practice if you need it. ^_^

Comment

Working...
          X