X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit taikai

Congratulations to all those who attended the test and competition. This was another great event with a bunch of people from all over the U.S. and Canada in attendance. Congratulations to everyone on the J.C.C.C. teams for their resounding victories and congratulations to all those that passed. I hope everyone had a great time and we will see you at the next event. Cheers!

Eric passed his yondan, by the way.

And I hope he doesn't kill me but here is a pic of us and some of our team mates from the event. I'm the cat in the sweatshirt stuffing his face. Eric's the guy next to me trying to pretend he can't smell the hard-boiled eggs I'd been stuffing into my face.

http://tinypic.com/1sk5cy

Comment

Congratulations to Eric on passing his promotion.

BTW, if you look at the picture, and check out about 6 or 7 rows up and over Charlie's right shoulder, you'll see a young man in a light colored shirt with a tie. He is our newest member of our dojo and his name is Eric, also.

Comment

LOL! I thought you were gonna say... "There's me, three rows up!" Close enough, anyway, hahahaha.

Comment

Congrats all!

but don't forget Etobicoke
          Shigemitsu Kamata won 1st place in the 4th dan category, i hear.

Comment

My Apologies

Originally posted by nalogg
            Congrats all!

but don't forget Etobicoke
            Shigemitsu Kamata won 1st place in the 4th dan category, i hear.
            You know, I saw you guys there, but for the life of me, I couldn't read your nafuda/zekken. In fact, one of our other guys asked me what it was, and I couldn't tell him.

Nalogg, do you know if Kamata-san competed in Court A against Tokune-sensei from Miami Valley? Tokune-sensei got 3rd place in the yondan & up category. Congratulations to Kamata-san for his victory!

Comment

ye! go Canada

Comment

The Canadians always have a strong showing in Detroit!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                  The Canadians always have a strong showing in Detroit!
                  A lot of canadians I know love detroit.
                  it's my second favourite US city next to chicago.

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
                  You know, I saw you guys there, but for the life of me, I couldn't read your nafuda/zekken. In fact, one of our other guys asked me what it was, and I couldn't tell him.

Nalogg, do you know if Kamata-san competed in Court A against Tokune-sensei from Miami Valley? Tokune-sensei got 3rd place in the yondan & up category. Congratulations to Kamata-san for his victory!
                  I wasn't there, i just heard it through the grapevine.
                  Ask "Koma" he went. He might know the details.

Our zekken is the one with gold and red embroidery, it's got the maple leaf with a crescent-circle around it and it says "Etobicoke Olympium" at the top.. the names are hard to read because the lettering is a bit small. I guess it is a bit tough to read. Thanks for reminding me, i have to order my zekken.

Comment

That could have been my nafuda/zekken or the fact I did not have one, I used tape. So that is why you had a hard time reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by KOMA
                      That could have been my nafuda/zekken or the fact I did not have one, I used tape. So that is why you had a hard time reading it.
                      Well, each time I saw it, I was either in a hurry to get over to my court, or you guys were in a hurry to get to your court.

Our match was against J.C.C.C. for third place in the team competitions. We got beat 5-0, but it was a great learning experience. Maybe in Chicago we'll get to meet up with you guys again.

I'll be at the Cleveland competition, hopefully, I'll do better than I did in Detroit, which was my first competition.

Comment

Well, each time I saw it, I was either in a hurry to get over to my court, or you guys were in a hurry to get to your court.

Our match was against J.C.C.C. for third place in the team competitions. We got beat 5-0, but it was a great learning experience. Maybe in Chicago we'll get to meet up with you guys again.

I'll be at the Cleveland competition, hopefully, I'll do better than I did in Detroit, which was my first competition.
                        Not sure but I think we had a match with your team, you beat us 3 to 2? I could be wrong!

Comment

Robin Tanaka-sensei was the head shinpan at the court I was working. He gave me a lot of advice and direction on shinpan'ing, which I thanked him for. Hell of a nice guy!

I believe our B team lost to Etobicoke's A-team. I was ringside when Etobicoke lost to MSU. Great match! IIRC, Etobicoke put the least-experienced player in the fifth spot, so when he had to go up against MSU's top guy, he did his best but to no avail.

Michiganders and Canadians are pretty much cousins. At least I hope you guys feel that way!

Comment

Michiganders and Canadians are pretty much cousins. At least I hope you guys feel that way!
                            Closer than you think. My dad's from Iron River.

Comment

I believe our B team lost to Etobicoke's A-team. I was ringside when Etobicoke lost to MSU. Great match! IIRC, Etobicoke put the least-experienced player in the fifth spot, so when he had to go up against MSU's top guy, he did his best but to no avail.
                              I just wished he sent an e-mail telling me about that men he was going to do on me.
                              Does any one have any Photos from the team match with Etobicoke, I could not take any due to the fact that I was fighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X