X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th kyu exam

hi, My first post here, looks like a good and active board.

I just started kendo about 2 months ago, and I got my first exam for 6th kyu coming up.
    I was wondering what do I need to know for that exam? or does that depends on who is taking it? I cant find any info on the net, and I cant reach my sensei outside practice.
    kirikaeshi is probably on the list, but do I need to know katas? if so, wich ones, cause I havent learned them all yet ...

thanks for the info

Your best chance would be to use the search function as this topic comes up a lot.

I had my first grading last week for kyu grades, which involved doing the first 3 kata, kirikaeshi, both giving and receiving, and then two bouts of keiko. From what I gather this is close to standard, however, there is no actual standard as the kyu grades 6th-2nd are in-house gradings which depend on your own dojo's rules.

Hope this helps

Comment

Lazken: ask your sensei and sempai. Different country/federation/region have different grading requirements, so it's best to ask someone who is familiar with your system.

Comment

wel my sensei said I was ready for it, so I dont expect anything I havent learned yet

Comment

You can ask your higher grade friends on the grading specifics. I'm sure they'd be able to tell you more.

Comment

It is your responsibility to find out this. Ask sensei or sampai before the test. Be prepared all the time. In general, for 6kyu, you will probably have to do Kirikeish twice and two jigeiko. While you doing your Kirikeish, you have to know your foot step, distance, kiai but do it slowly. For Jikeiko, you have to do your best with loud Kiai. show them what you have learned last two months.

good luck !!!

Comment

It will obviously depend on where you are grading but now for Kyusha gradings you will possibly need to Know some of Bokuto Kihon Ho Kata, which is that Kata that was Bought in specifically to teach beginners distance etc

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
                In general, for 6kyu, you will probably have to do Kirikeish twice and two jigeiko.
                It all depends on the federation. For example, in Australia, you're not expected to do jigeiko til nikyu and above. Then again, we start from 6th kyu and cannot jump to ikkyu in our first shinsa. The best one can hope for in the first shinsa is 4th kyu, after that it's step by step up the ladder.

Since the German system is close to our system, I'm not sure if he'd be required to do jigeiko.

Comment

Like rainmaker says, ask your sensei. Good sensei and judges will want you to pass, it's up to you to fail. In my region we only require kirikaeshi and uchikomi up to nikyu. At nikyu we add jigeiko, and at ikyu we add the first three kata. Finally, bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon-waza keiko-ho has not yet been adopted as a test requirement as so few dojos practice this technique.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lazken]
                    I just started kendo about 2 months ago, and I got my first exam for 6th kyu coming up.

wow, 2 whole months of training and your ready for a shinsa ? most beginners don't even get a shinai until they learn proper footwork, takes a lot longer than 2 months...

Comment

wow - I feel lucky in many ways - most adults in Japan test starting with ikkyu (and 6kyu through 2kyu is usually reserved for children). I think I tested for 1kyu on Saturday and took the shodan danshinsa the following week.

Things seem pretty strict everywhere else in the world....

Comment

One thing I sure didn't expect, the blasting we took after the exam. Most everyone looked fairly happy with their performance for the ikkyu examination...then Matsuura-sensei began translating for the judges and we all found out in short order just how great we really weren't. It was for the best as I got called out on something that was so basic that I wouldn't have even thought of it had it not been brought up. Oh well, just means that I'll be just that much more prepared for my shodan examination.

Comment

well I passed with flying collors
                          men kiri kaeshi and a 3 big men's (strike, and run past, strong kiai), 3 big kotes, and 3 big do's. them some technical things, not really that hard.

cant wait for 5th

Comment

Congratulations Lazken! Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazken
                              well I passed with flying collors
                              men kiri kaeshi and a 3 big men's (strike, and run past, strong kiai), 3 big kotes, and 3 big do's. them some technical things, not really that hard.

cant wait for 5th
                              ... and next time you won't be tested on anything that you havent been taught, so relax!

Comment

Working...
                              X