Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan/Kyu Examinations in an IKF (FIK) Non-affiliated Country

Hello everyone,

Does someone have more information about the memorandum mentioned in the Article 14 of the Standard Guideline for DAN/KYU Examination ?
    "In case of a Dan/Kyu examination held in a non-affiliated country, the Memorandum of Dan/Kyu Examinations in an FIK Non-affiliated Country as of May 23, 2005 shall apply."

Thanks in advance.

What are you after exactly?

Just use the procedures for grading in another IKF-affiliated country that your home federation provides.

Comment

I finally found what I was searching : IKF can do grading exam in non-affiliated country.

Originally posted by Michael Hodge View Post
      What are you after exactly?

Just use the procedures for grading in another IKF-affiliated country that your home federation provides.
      Thanks for replying. I will consider this option.

Comment

RNM I am very interested about this thread, would you please share what you have found? could you explain how it works? i would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinzinho View Post
          RNM I am very interested about this thread, would you please share what you have found? could you explain how it works? i would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
          According to some archive I found at IKF and AJKF sites, back in time when China was not a member of IKF yet, an AJKF delegation did carry out an examination there as IKF allowed it.

Source :
          http://www.kendo.or.jp/old/column/229.html (2nd part, first paragraph)
          https://www.kendo-fik.org/english-pa...ion-Abroad.htm (go to "AJKF delegation visit to China and Mongolia")

I cannot explain how it works as it looks like that this above mentioned case was the only case when an examination happened in an IKF non-affiliate country.

The interesting question I have now is : how to convince IKF to dispatch a delegation to a country?
          Last edited by RNM; 12th June 2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

From what I have seen, getting a delegation to conduct a grading is somewhat involved and may even happen within countries that are affiliated but not competent to hold gradings beyond a certain level.

For example, outside of Japan/Korea/Taiwan/USA there are usually very few or no 8-dan around and conducting 7-dan exams on their own is basically impossible despite IKF affiliation. Therefore to grade 7-dan (sometimes even 5-dan and 6-dan), most candidates will travel to Japan. Occasionally the AJKF/IKF (for all intents and purposes one in the same) will conduct a seminar in these regions (e.g. a shinpan seminar in Europe for the EKF) and hold a high grade shinsa while they are there.

There is also I suspect from what I have seen, a regional dynamic in that some areas that are being introduced to kendo are being mentored by a closer federation. For example, European countries that are being introduced to kendo would be taken under the wing of instructors from an older member of the EKF (e.g. UK, France, Germany, etc.). These regional instructors will usually be in close contact with the IKF and have their blessing to take on the task. In the case of China, Japan is next door so is the obvious regional mentor.

Finally, sometimes a senior sensei in Japan will be invited to conduct a private seminar and offer gradings as part of the seminar. The grading would be affiliated with the local or neighboring federation depending on how the seminar is being sponsored. I believe I read somewhere that the IKF frowns on this but does not outright ban it as there is no rule against it.

So in short, from what I understand, as long as a quorum of qualified assessors (e.g. enough people holding the necessary rank to for the panel), then a grading can be held anywhere (even on the moon but don't ask me how to fumikomi there). Under whose auspice is a matter of which federation is sponsoring the grading.

Usually though, the first generation of kendoists in a new area will have to travel for their gradings. It is part of the sacrifice that the first generation makes. Kendo however, is now widespread enough that at least you might not have to go all the way to Japan or a neighboring sensei can make regular visits to you.

Perhaps if you explain where you are and how you are practicing kendo, then forum members could be more specific about what your grading options could be.

Comment

One way to simplify it is for a delegation from an IKF-affiliated country to hold exams in a non-affiliated country and register new kendokas as its (the IKF-affiliated federation) members.

Comment

Thank you for your contribution.

Originally posted by dillon View Post

Perhaps if you explain where you are and how you are practicing kendo, then forum members could be more specific about what your grading options could be.
                Madagascar. Even if we don't have any kendojo nor well established club/association/organisation, we meet in some places that have some space or foam tatami.

Comment

So basically there is no formalized kendo where you are.

Generally speaking, grading is done through a dojo. Grading candidates need to be a member of an established dojo that is recognized by an IKF affiliate, That means you and Madagacar practitioners will need to get taken under the wing of a qualified sensei or federation, either as a group of individually, and grade under the authority (as a member of a dojo) of that federation. The closest one to you is South Africa so you might want to contact the South African Kendo Federation and ask for their help. It seems this is the only established kendo country in your corner of the world. Perhaps they can offer you the process krys described.

If one of your members has previous kendo experience with a sensei who runs a recognized dojo, then try to get that sensei to take you under his/her wing. That might mean officially joining his/her dojo, the sensei coming to visit you in Madagascar, some members visiting the sensei's dojo and then taking grading with the sensei's federation in the sensei's home country. From what I have seen, as long as you are not doing something suspiciously abusing the system, federations will not call you out for not being resident anywhere near your dojo.

Just to give a little background to gradings held by Japanese delegations to other countries or regions (e.g. China/EKF in your links), there are established kendo federations in these places. The delegations make up for the fact that the hosting federation may not have enough senior sensei to hold the grading above a certain level (in the case of Europe it is difficult to hold gradings 6-dan and above due to lack of 8-dan residing in Europe). As far as I am aware, Japanese delegations do not turn up to places where there is no established kendo whatsoever to hold gradings. Establishing a kendo federation is whole 'nother story.
                  Last edited by dillon; 13th June 2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks dillon. Your contribution is very helpful.

I got in touch with IKF. Don't ask me for detail. It's confidential. Their answer is clear : No 1st Kyu nor Dan examination in my country. No examination at my country and by my country. Reason : not a member of IKF.

I'm not myself obsessed with grade. I can live and practice without. Some of my fellows think there was a way to hold a 1st Kyu examination at home. That's why I investigated about that.

About being mentored. It is already the case. By France through iles de la Reunion and diaspora. But their involvement didn't give any improvement. South Africa has welcome a group from Madagascar for a meeting. No improvement either. This was the first and last contact between both countries.

The 2nd way you describe is interesting but there is a "if", which is a not a "as" and won't likely become a "as".

Logically no delegation for us. Like you write, becoming an established and formalized something is an other story. So let's not hijack this thread.

Anyway, as I got a clear reply from IKF itself about what I am wondering. I think there is no more thing I should worry about. I'll wear my bogu, take my shinai and do some haya suburi with loud kiai.

Thanks again everybody for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X