X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyu?

i dont rele get this , that in england the first grading you do is 1st Kyu.. so what are the requirements for all the other kyu eg 5th 4th 3rd, and why in the BKA book does it have all the other grades from 6 to 1

According to the IKF and the AJKF, kyu requirements for 6- to 2- kyu are set by the individual dojo. Once a candidate tests for 1-kyu, then they must be graded by their regional federation. The only guidelines set are for 1-kyu and above.

As an aside, one of the members of my dojo tested for 1-kyu for his very first promotion exam, and he passed. So, he went from ungraded to 1-kyu immediately. Again, it's up to the individual dojo and the regional federation to set guidelines for that promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
      According to the IKF and the AJKF, kyu requirements for 6- to 2- kyu are set by the individual dojo. Once a candidate tests for 1-kyu, then they must be graded by their regional federation. The only guidelines set are for 1-kyu and above.

As an aside, one of the members of my dojo tested for 1-kyu for his very first promotion exam, and he passed. So, he went from ungraded to 1-kyu immediately. Again, it's up to the individual dojo and the regional federation to set guidelines for that promotion.
      huh? that's strange, here you can go from 6kyu (or 10kyu, depending on the dojo) till 3kyu before you go to a regional exam for 2kyu. (and all other exams from 6 till 3kyu HAVE to have been done, usually with a timespan of at least three months between every exam.)

@ kensei, are you saying that in Britain the 2nd exam you ever do is shodan? Because that would be strange to me...

Comment

Originally posted by nikolaj
        @ kensei, are you saying that in Britain the 2nd exam you ever do is shodan? Because that would be strange to me...
        In Canada it's the same, unless the dojo decides to impose any further exams. We don't, except for the exam to earn bogu.

Comment

really? wow...
          so how long does it usually take someone to actually take the ikkyu exam in canada or britain?

Comment

Both Canada and the UK follows the same system as per the IKF guidelines. First grading is ikkyu, which officially, can be achieved in 50 hours, shodan another 3 months later. In practice, however, people take about 1 year to get ikkyu and another year to get shodan, although this can vary wildly depending on commitment, skill and to some extent, ability to perform at the grading.

Jakob

Comment

yeah well my dojo just sed do the Ikkyu exam this october and thats my first exam then it goes on to first dan, but seeing as the other grades are internal it makes sense but our dojo doesnt do internal grading., but yeah, probly just a different system

Comment

still, ikkyu in one year? Sorry to say so, but I can't imagine that the bar for ikkyu must be very high then...

Comment

Why then you just come and try one of our gradings, then?..it's only a 3 hour train journey away...
                  I've done my last 2 gradings in Belgium (Nakakura Cup) and as far as I can see, the level is very similar.

Jakob

Comment

heh, I'm not saying it's a better or a worse system, and I like ours.
                    I couldn't say which country has the best level of ikkyus, but one year just seems very soon.
                    And I'd love to go to the nakakura cup btw, but I heard it was quite expensive...

Comment

heh, I'm not saying it's a better or a worse system, and I like ours.
                      I couldn't say which country has the best level of ikkyus, but one year just seems very soon.
                      And I'd love to go to the nakakura cup btw, but I heard it was quite expensive...
                      It does seem very soon, but remember that most dojo's (those that I go to anyways) in Belgium only train once a week. I've noticed this before, in the US training is often three times a week, what it's like in the UK I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Berugijin
                        It does seem very soon, but remember that most dojo's (those that I go to anyways) in Belgium only train once a week. I've noticed this before, in the US training is often three times a week, what it's like in the UK I wouldn't know.
                        true... (and what dojo is that btw?)

Comment

Blame the foreigners .

They made it pricey (40EUR/two-hour seminar AFAIK) because kendoka from all over Europe flock to it, by raising the price they had hoped to avoid the huge crowd (it didn't work). So there's a very good chance it'll be even more expensive next year...

But my sensei told us she'd try to make it cheaper for Belgians (whom the seminar was intended for originally).

Comment

true... (and what dojo is that btw?)
                            I believe this is the second time you asked me this: http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=30

Do you train in other dojo's than Enmei Ryu? Ever went to Sei Shin Kan?

Comment

strange that every country /kendo assiciation has its own rules....in germany you start at 6th kyu, and can grade every half year max...

not really that one would need so many kyu's 2 would be enough i guess. one for beginner in bogu who starts to know his way around, one for advanced ... and then 1dan.... japan also doesn't have kyu's.. and kendo anywhy has no yellow, white, red belt etc system so what use is it to have a 6th kyu in your kendo pass?

Comment

Working...
                              X