kyu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EzzzE
    and kendo anywhy has no yellow, white, red belt etc system so what use is it to have a 6th kyu in your kendo pass?
    I think it's great to start low and then start working to pass your next grade. Then you always have a reasonable goal to shoot for. We start at 4 kyu (usually after a beginners' class) and have to go through 3,2 and 1 as well. There is no way to "skip" a grade.
    I am currently 3 kyu, and will be going for 2 kyu after the summer, and I don't think that will be very much of a problem if I train hard. Ikkyu on the other hand is a goal that is very far away, and if aimed at that now, the probability of lost motivation is higher. Now I can get small confirmations that I am on the right track all the way up to ikkyu and shodan.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o
      I think it's great to start low and then start working to pass your next grade. Then you always have a reasonable goal to shoot for.
      That is *exactly* whats wrong with using the 6-2nd kyu-system and I saw it in action, while I was living in New Zealand (which uses the kyu-system). What it does, is that it sets the bar too low.
      Instead of looking at ikkyu and saying "geez, I want to do kendo like that", people look up at the kyu grade above them and aim to achieve that. Just look through this subforum, with people going "What do I need to do to pass X-kyu?".
      It's setting the bar far too low and the effect is that it sets the goal of people too low.

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by nikolaj
        huh? that's strange, here you can go from 6kyu (or 10kyu, depending on the dojo) till 3kyu before you go to a regional exam for 2kyu. (and all other exams from 6 till 3kyu HAVE to have been done, usually with a timespan of at least three months between every exam.)

@ kensei, are you saying that in Britain the 2nd exam you ever do is shodan? Because that would be strange to me...
        Why is it strange? It's the AJKF guidelines.

Comment

I started learning Kendo only in Nov last year and 1 month ago I got my 9th kyu. However at the moment I'm training with a non-accredited dojo, who dont really follow the Australian Kendo Federation model for kyu gradings.

As soon as I get the ok for bogu, I'll be looking to train with the Uni team here at Flinders, so I'll have to undergo my 1st kyu grading experience all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
            What it does, is that it sets the bar too low.
            That's strange, since I have heard that Swedes are generally "undergraded". I guess it might have to do with a low number of grading oppurtunities due to lack of high graded instructors though.
            And I don't really understand your point either, the requirements to pass ikkyu is still the same no matter how many grades you need to pass on they way there. And, we don't start at 6 kyu, but at 4 kyu, so there is really not a lot of steps.

Comment

What I mean is that when people have to go through 6-2 kyu, their initial progress is slowed down, compared to people who go straight for ikkyu.

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by h2o
                That's strange, since I have heard that Swedes are generally "undergraded". I guess it might have to do with a low number of grading oppurtunities due to lack of high graded instructors though.
                And I don't really understand your point either, the requirements to pass ikkyu is still the same no matter how many grades you need to pass on they way there. And, we don't start at 6 kyu, but at 4 kyu, so there is really not a lot of steps.
                The new grading system in Sweden though begins at 6 kyu.

Comment

In Switzerland, you have to be registrated in the federation for two years (with bogu) to test fo 2 kyu, wait 6 month for 1 kyu, wait 6 month more for 1 dan.
                  Dojo are free to set internal exams from 6 to 3 kyu and big dojo do it. In some dojo, the only internal exam is for allowing people to wear bogu.

Comment

is there a sort of international federation site that says what Exactly is needed to be proved aquired for the different grades ?

like, what does it take for Ikkyu, since i guess it should be the same from place to place ?

thanks for any link that gets me close to the answer...

project

Comment

Originally posted by nikolaj
                      still, ikkyu in one year? Sorry to say so, but I can't imagine that the bar for ikkyu must be very high then...

does that mean its really fast to be doing ikkyu in one year? because i was actualy meant to do it last october but i wasnt a member of the bka so i kinda ran out on that opportunity, and last october i had been doing kendo since that january roughly, so i guess that woudl be around 7-8 months - but the requirements are only the first 3 kata, kirikaishi and jigeiko where you only really need one or two men cuts.. is this unusual? im not so sure, but the third kata gets on my ****** nerves, i learnt number 4 and thats infnitely easier , what a paradox...

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
                        What I mean is that when people have to go through 6-2 kyu, their initial progress is slowed down, compared to people who go straight for ikkyu.

Jakob
                        Actually I don't think that's true...
                        In our dojo, you can tell the difference between a 3kyu and a 4kyu.
                        Also, The aspiration to become 1kyu or shodan is just as big, only because of the number of exams ahead of you, it seems even more far away and something to work for for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by EzzzE
                          strange that every country /kendo assiciation has its own rules....in germany you start at 6th kyu, and can grade every half year max...

not really that one would need so many kyu's 2 would be enough i guess. one for beginner in bogu who starts to know his way around, one for advanced ... and then 1dan.... japan also doesn't have kyu's.. and kendo anywhy has no yellow, white, red belt etc system so what use is it to have a 6th kyu in your kendo pass?
                          well, german kendo federation is going its own way. i dont no why they have desided to use a more severer grading-system than hole europe and even japan!

of course japan uses kyu-gradings, but only for children and not for adults!

i find the system is quite good...10 kyu gradings for beginners. you can use it to motivate the youngsters and ofcourse the older ones ;-) to train harder and to come frequently to training. and if skill gots a good developmet why not skipping a kyu-grade

Comment

Originally posted by tokon
                            of course japan uses kyu-gradings, but only for children and not for adults!
                            Do they? I've never met a Japanese kid that wasn't either ungraded or 1kyu or better. I don't think they bother with all the minor ones beneath that (and like Jakob, I think this is for the best).

Comment

Originally posted by Phil-co
                              The new grading system in Sweden though begins at 6 kyu.
                              Yes, but if I understood it right it was not mandatory and mostly meant to be used for children. I personally don't understand why you need a 6 kyu for adults, since the requirements for 4 kyu are quite low.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o
                                Yes, but if I understood it right it was not mandatory and mostly meant to be used for children. I personally don't understand why you need a 6 kyu for adults, since the requirements for 4 kyu are quite low.
                                again, that depends what dojo you're in. There was a 4kyu exam in my dojo not too long ago, and even though he passed, the guy taking it had to show quite some skill for such a grade...
                                (then again, maybe my sensei does have high requirements when it comes to exams...)

Comment

Working...
                                X