X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! grading soon

Im going for my Ikkyu on Oct, but i've never graded before. Do you know what i can expect? Will i be doing it with a group of people at the same time or on my own. Just need some general infor on what to expect.

Thanks

For the keiko:

Strong Kirikaeshi. Cut with intent and accuracy. Strong Kiai! Most people are nervous and tend not to kiai loud enough.

In the shiai try not to block and spend more of that energy attacking. What they want to see is good basics. A nice MEN cut is all you need. Remember, good footwork, big cuts, straight back, a good hit and strong kiai. Don't forget zanshin.

Try not to go for anything to complicated, just a nice strong MEN or maybe kote men.

For the Kata:

Remember your footwork! Especially for Uchidachi for kata no3. Practice your kata because they will fail you if you screw up the footwork.

If you screw up they'll let you have a few more goes(usually 2 chances).

Comment

Format ???

Is it just help on the format you need ???

i.e where to stand etc ????

Comment

Originally posted by GMason
        Is it just help on the format you need ???

i.e where to stand etc ????
        Everything, im a real n00b with gradings

Comment

Hi this an email I wrote for one of my beginners to help with the format of the BKA gradings..... (changed a bit for you)

OK you will probably know what is needed but the format is this.....

The advise I gave to my guys who where taking the grading for the first time.... Check you hakama etc..... make sure you are all done up properly.... get someone else to check you !!! check the other people in your group..... there is nothing worse than having to stop half way through a grading and re-tie something or having what looks like a ducks arse sticking out the back of your men ???

Kirikieshi/Fencing

You will be in groups of five probably... that is usually how it is set out at BKA gradings (It was at the last grading watchet where I helped out at)

Number one goes on first to recieve kirikieshi and two does the cutting..... as shown in my nice little diagram below :-)

1 2345

Then a short fence.... do your best.... men cut etc.... you will get so much advise on this so I won't bother. Then finish... one goes to the back and two goes across to where one was.....and same again kirikieshi

2 3451

Then a short fence.... do your best.... men cut etc......Then finish... This time two goes to the back of the queue but has finished the shinai part of the grading as two should now have done both side of kirikieshi and fenced twice.

3 451

Then so on and so on

4 51

and again

5 1

Now number one comes back in and finshes the shinai part of the grading.....

just some extra advice..... for the shinai section

Watch what happens in the groups that go on before you and get it straight in your mind...... so you at least look like you know what you are doing even if in reality your mind is saying arrrgggghhh get me out of here !!!!. When you change sides.... there is no need to run across infront of the panel.... just walk quickly and naturaly try and keep dignity and and air of confidence as if to say... yep I know what I am doing.....

Also one last thing about where you stand etc..... once you have finished kirikieshi go back to where you started.... when you finish fencing go back to where you started.... again there is nothing worse than watching someone take a grading for the first time, finish the grading and then stand at the wrong side.... whilst the floor manager tells him where to stand and the guy having a blank look on his face as if to say what do you mean. (with it being Ikkyu you are going for the panel should cut you some slack... but if you can get all of the above right with no problems... it should hopefully give you that extra edge !!)

Kata

Now depending on how many people are testing, and when I graded at mumeishi last year..... there where about 100 Ikkyu's. Sometimes they will get everyone to do the Kata or if there are alot they will just ask the ones who passed the shinai section back to do the kata. Like I said I guess it will be the later as there will be a lot of people grading.

This advice is pretty much the same. If you can watch the people that go on before you.... so you can get the procedure right in your head. You will go out in pairs obviously :-) and then they will tell you which side is which...... Then the floor Manager will shout out ipponme you take kamae and then he/she will shout hajime and off you go... finish number one and then back to the beginning..... Then the floor manager will call out nihonme and off you go again.... this is the same for all the three kata you need to do. When you finsh the last Kata sonkyo..... (again try to look confident at this point.... you will see alot of people sort of trying to look across at other people to see if they should sonkyo..... then go back to where you started.... if you have to do them again they will ask you at the end.... if you do have to do them again don't panic.... you probably haven't failed yet.... they usually give you more than one chance.....

If you make a mistake.... you can stop and put your hand up there and then ..... they will then ask you to do it again... but bear in mind I have only ever been told this and have never done it. So I would check with Gerry or someone, just to double check this bit

I hope this helps..... :-)

Comment

Cheers for your advice!

Comment

I hope it helps good luck !!

Comment

I hope i do pass but i have quite low confidence when it comes to grading. I just have my doubts about myself

Comment

Originally posted by GMason
                  Watch what happens in the groups that go on before you and get it straight in your mind......
                  This is good advice, seldom followed. I've acted as tachi-ai (the traffic director guy) a bunch of times, and I don't know how many times people have made the exact same mistakes as the previous group. If tachi-ai says to someone "go here, not there" or "toes on the line" etc, then make sure to not make those mistakes.

As for technical advice: for kiri-kaeshi, slow and correct is the way to go. Most ikkyu candidates could stand going about half the speed they're at. If you can't get your left hand over your head on the backswing, slow down.

For keiko, stick to basics. No tsuki, no gyaku-doh, no hiki-waza. Try to avoid getting tangled up in the middle. Lots of big straight men, a few kote, doh only if you see an actual chance. Lots of kiai, lots of energy. Don't block, don't worry about getting hit. You can "lose" and still pass. Sometimes at ikkyu there's a big skill discrepency but the judges are looking for a minimum standard, so if you are up against someone who clearly should have graded long before don't sweat it, the panel will see what is happening.

For kata, so long as you know the form of the kata (which foot goes where, etc) you'll pass ikkyu. Deeper performance issues are for higher grades. If you make a small mistake, keep going. If your partner screws up, keep going. If either of you get lost or make such a big mistake that you can't continue, they may let you repeat that kata, depends on the committee.

Comment

While I can't say anything for personal experience since I should be going for my ikkyu later this year if everything goes great.

What I am doing is reading up on everything. I look at shiai rules, shimpan rules, reviewing on how to put on the kendo-gi and bogu and reviewing certain terms. What I want to do is be prepared by knowing the small details so I get in there and know exactly what is going on.

As far as shiai goes, they say that they don't grade on whether or not you got a score, but if you showed great Kendo. So once I get back to school (where the kendo is at) I plan on doing my best to concentrate on the smallest details of my technique and do a little cross training so I can last longer.

Comment

Would they ask to look at the way i've tied my hakama or ask my to put together my shinai?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander
                        Would they ask to look at the way i've tied my hakama or ask my to put together my shinai?
                        They won't ask you to put a shinai together. However, you should have all your gear neat, clean and tied properly. They won't go down the line inspecting each knot (or at least, I've never seen that) but they can see when someone is sloppy just fine from the judges' table.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                          They won't ask you to put a shinai together. However, you should have all your gear neat, clean and tied properly. They won't go down the line inspecting each knot (or at least, I've never seen that) but they can see when someone is sloppy just fine from the judges' table.
                          So to start with you just wear keikogi and hakama, no tare?

Comment

You will be wearing tare, that's so they can write your number on the odare. More than likely, as stated above, they will have shiai first, then those who pass shiai will go on to do kata.

If I may be so bold (since I'm going up for promotion next month, too), think of this as another keiko. Your sensei watches you at keiko, whether you realize it or not, so just focus on your opponent, (enzan no metsuke), and once you start, you probably will not even notice the panel.

Comment

Ah okie dokie, i was just wondering because i cant tie my hakama the "right" way

Comment

Working...
                              X