X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th dan test and Kata

I happen to remember that 8th dan testing video, Grulleing Challenge, doesn't show that they are doing any Kata test. They are doing two geiko and written exam. Is this normal ?? I also heard that they don't preactice Kata that often in Japan. Do they even include Kata in their dan test ???

Originally posted by rainmaker
    I happen to remember that 8th dan testing video, Grulleing Challenge, doesn't show that they are doing any Kata test. They are doing two geiko and written exam. Is this normal ?? I also heard that they don't preactice Kata that often in Japan. Do they even include Kata in their dan test ???
    Actually, if you listen to the narration in that documentary, you'll hear that some of the people who made it through the second round either dropped out or didn't make the the kata portion of the test. IIRC, I think the narrator calls them "forms."

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
      I also heard that they don't preactice Kata that often in Japan. Do they even include Kata in their dan test ???
      Dojos that do kata or don't do kata vary. For many dojo, they don't do kata formally, but people who are interested in it or know they need it for an upcoming exam will practice kata with someone either before or after the regular practice. It's the same as anywhere else, some dojo formally do it all together and some don't. Frequently though I have seen it as a before practice thing that you do on your own by simply asking someone to practice it with you.

Comment

I assure you the kata are an integral part of kendo in Japan. Maybe some student groups/circles slack on the kata, but every club I have visited practices them (some more regularly/formally than others), and, where I am, the kata are a vital part of the curriculum. The Nihon Kendo Kata are required at all Dan tests, and every year, there are those that fail at every level.

Comment

I ve heard that starting from 4 or 5 dan, you don't need to do kata anymore when presenting a grade...

Comment

That would be incorrect, unless something wacky is going on, there is always kata the higher you go...

Comment

Working...
            X