X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping track of wat grade u are

Hi, i was just wondering how do you keep track of what grade you are? for instance if your like hachikyu and u participate in a jyukyu test, how do the admins know what grade you are? do sensie's keep track or is there a data for all kendoist? thanks!

Doesn't kyu advance backwards? You'd be going from jyukyu to hachikyu. But, besides that, I thought that all kendoka started at rokkyu.

I don't know how other dojos work, but, my sensei doesn't pay much attention to kyu levels. He, of course, pays attention to the variables that constitute the level; there is just no open regard of kyu-ranking; not at my level, anyway. According to Neil G's site, I would say I am Gokyu. I believe my sensei starts taking ranking into consideration once you are in bogu, so, I guess 3k-1k would be the only "regarded" kyu rankings.

Comment

You look at your latest grading diploma. Mine says 1 kyu, so that's where I am. The diploma before that said 2 kyu, and so on....

Originally posted by Omnis
      But, besides that, I thought that all kendoka started at rokkyu.
      Grades up to ikkyu are controlled by your local federation (in my case, it is the kendo section of the Swedish budo and martial arts federation). So not all kendoka start at rokkyu. We start with no grade, and then go for yonkyu after about one term (rules say 3 month between kyu-gradings, but few people actually grade in 3 month periods).
      Last edited by h2o; 2nd March 2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_kumdo
        Hi, i was just wondering how do you keep track of what grade you are? for instance if your like hachikyu and u participate in a jyukyu test, how do the admins know what grade you are? do sensie's keep track or is there a data for all kendoist? thanks!
        Well, aside from the fact that you would have your menjo (rank certificate) I don't really see how this would be a problem. And for that matter, haichikyu? In kendo? I thought it all starts with rokkyu and goes up to ikkyu.

Comment

Starts at rokkyu .. that'd be nice, some places just get it easy.

Comment

in US, we need to fill in the form for shinsa. on that form you indicate which kyu you are. in SEUSKF, you can test for kyu rank, however, only rank that will be really recognized by AUSKF is 1 kyu and above.

kyu rank below 1 kyu can be awarded by the dojo. most adult above 18 can test for 1 kyu on their first shinsa if they wish. if their skill level is not at 1 kyu, they could test for 2 kyu and the judging panel will decide which kyu can be awarded.

pete

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_kumdo
              Hi, i was just wondering how do you keep track of what grade you are?
              I think the answer you're looking for is from a member of a regional organization. If I'm getting it correctly, you're asking "How does the kendo federation (regional/national) verify your rank at testing? Do they check your records to verify you meet testing requirements? For example, confirming the date of your shodan award when testing for nidan."

In general the kyu grades are local/regional levels in the US, and from what I understand they are often ignored until the ikkyu level. My guess is that there aren't enough people in the beginner stages to justify the work to do grading for them; push them all up to base level (ikkyu/shodan) quickly and then track from there.

Comment

Some dojos I believe start their people off at 10kyu and work their way down to ikkyu. Of course, many of those are in-dojo ranks and do not require a board of examiners to judge until you get to 3-1 kyu.

Also, when you apply for your next rank, part of the application paperwork is a copy of your current menjo to confirm your present rank.

Comment

You honestly can't remember what grade you are?

Comment

um... remember your rank? How do you remember you name? I know what rank I am, because I hope to reach the next rank...pretty obvious

Comment

In Germany we own a "Kendo passport", a small booklet which contains information about your dojo, how long you are a member of the dojo, the workshops and tournaments you participated in, and, of course, your gradings.

If you want to get a new grading, you have to show your kendo passport and after passing the test, you receive a "kyu" or "dan" sticker in the appropriate box, together with two autographs of the people who tested you, together with a remark about their rankings.

You can only pass kyu / dan tests if you are a member of the German Kendobund (Kendo union) and you have to buy a sticker each year to show that you are still a member of an official dojo which is a member of the Kendo union. Without a valid sticker for the current year you cannot pass a test. This is all very bureaucratic, but it works... and you will never loose track about your current grading, just open your "Kendo book"...

Comment

Originally posted by Takuan
                        In Germany we own a "Kendo passport", a small booklet which contains information about your dojo, how long you are a member of the dojo, the workshops and tournaments you participated in, and, of course, your gradings...
                        One cannot have too much structure in one's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea
                          One cannot have too much structure in one's life.
                          German efficiency at its very best.

Comment

Actually Judo Canada does the exact same thing with their Judo Passport where you record various activity. They have a rigid points system - you accumulate points by attending tournaments as competitor, official or volunteer, also by attending seminars and other things. You need so many points to get ikkyu or higher.

CKF doesn't have such requirements and doesn't care about ranks under ikkyu. They just look at how you do on the examination day, and do you have enough time in before the last rank. So no passport needed.

Comment

"Kendo Passport"?

I have a dream, one day we will use Kendo dog tag where everything about kendoka were recorded. It is included:

Blood type, size, weight, rank, papa name, mama name, favorite waza, Commando yes, no, type of shinai- oiling or not, ..

What else need to be known?

Comment

Working...
                              X