Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whom is the highest ranked Kendo sensei!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
    As King says, there are a few what look like wierd ranks out there, for example 6th dan kyoshi and 7dan hanshi. Come to the Kyoto taikai one year and see for yourself.
    Is that for kendo AND iaido?

When's the 2007 taikai?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris R
      I may be wrong, but I'm almost positive that you can only obtain hachi-dan in Japan. No one has ever been promoted to hachi-dan inside the USA.
      It's pretty much impossible,because every judge on the panel has to be hachi-dan or higher.
      They would have to bring all or most of the hachi-dans from Japan to effect a hachi-dan test outside of Japan.
      This is also untrue. Ranks above 7th dan are awarded at the discretion of the local governing body. I believe that there may have been some US-created 8th dans, although I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh
        This is also untrue. Ranks above 7th dan are awarded at the discretion of the local governing body. I believe that there may have been some US-created 8th dans, although I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
        I believe that you can only test for hachi-dan in Japan, as it requires other hachi-dan of long standing (at least 5 or 15, I'll have to watch the video again). The awarding of the rank is up to the home federation I think. I'm not sure if any other country can put together a hachi-dan judging board. Korea maybe, or Taiwan, but not many others.

Comment

I am not an expert but isn't only every 6 months alternating between kyoto and tokyo??

Comment

Originally posted by ChaShu
            I believe that you can only test for hachi-dan in Japan, as it requires other hachi-dan of long standing (at least 5 or 15, I'll have to watch the video again). The awarding of the rank is up to the home federation I think. I'm not sure if any other country can put together a hachi-dan judging board. Korea maybe, or Taiwan, but not many others.
            I believe that any federation that can muster the requisite number of examiners can have a hachidan exam. They don't have to be from that federation, of course they would have to bring them in from Japan.

Murakami sensei was telling me that he wanted to have hachidan examination in the U.S. Many people think that such a rank would call for an * in the books (* obtained in the U.S.) and somehow being lesser in value.

I have no idea and probably wont live long enough to get there anyway.

Comment

Any IKF federation can award any rank they like. I don't think any requirements for qualifications of the committee are required. Canada recently awarded hachidan to two fine teachers, Asaoka-sensei of Youshinkan and Kamata-sensei of Etobicoke. Both gentleman had participated in the exam in Japan and made the first cut to 60 in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
                Highest rank in kendo is now 8th dan (hachidan). There are 3 shogo as well, which are awarded to 6th, 7th, and 8th dan holders upon successful completion of a rigorous examination. Renshi, kyoshi, hanshi in ascending order. There is also an order that links the two rankings.

A 7th dan, renshi is outranked by a 6th dan kyoshi. I don't know why that is, but it's that way.

As for who is the highest ranking kendoist in the U.S. and Japan? Good question, since there are several 8th dan in the U.S.

What is a shogo, and how does it make a 6th dan outrank a 7th dan? Seems realy weird.

Comment

Any IKF federation can award any rank they like. I don't think any requirements for qualifications of the committee are required. Canada recently awarded hachidan to two fine teachers, Asaoka-sensei of Youshinkan and Kamata-sensei of Etobicoke. Both gentleman had participated in the exam in Japan and made the first cut to 60 in the past.
                  i find that interesting neil. i am not sure i agree with it though. would you please indulge me with your opinion on this, i am curious what you think about it. of course, anyone else is welcome to express an opinion.

Comment

This was hashed over fairly thoroughly here. My feeling is that both sensei are well deserving of their new rank.

Comment

thank you for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by RC_Kenshi
                        ????

Don't know where you got your information from, but NCKF (Northern California Kendo Federation) has a number of nanadan (at least two or three that I know of) and one hachidan hanshi (Miyata-sensei). I believe SCKF/SCKO (Southern California Kendo Federation/Organization) has a couple of hachidan sensei's as well. If I'm not mistaken, Martsen-sensei, who is an occasional poster here, is nanadan as well.

RC_Kenshi
                        RC HEY THAMKS FOR CORRECTING MAN , I HATE HAVING WROUNG FACTS THOSE ARE THE HIGHEST RANKED SENSEI IN MY AREA AS I HAD STATED ON EAST COAST I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THERE WERE MORE OF THE SAME RANK OR HIGHER ON WEST COAST PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THIS ERROR .SINCERELY.HERB

Comment

And It Seems I Can Type Either Or Spell!

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
                            Is that for kendo AND iaido?
                            When's the 2007 taikai?
                            dont know about iaido as im not active in the scene, but i cant imagine why not (if ZNKR).

The kyoto taikai is every year during Golden Week - May 3-5. The day before the kendo demos is the koryu stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMcCall
                              The kyoto taikai is every year during Golden Week - May 3-5. The day before the kendo demos is the koryu stuff.
                              Righto, done then. I was planning for an April 07 visit, but I'm sure I can delay it by a few weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by herb mowery
                                And It Seems I Can Type Either Or Spell!
                                Well i've known that for years now. Why didnt you just ask Go? Or looked through your cleveland tournament booklet he is in there i do believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X