Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

prewar aggressive practices?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • prewar aggressive practices?

    Hello

    I just got my hands on a book that describes how postwar Kendo was "...reformulated with new rules that forbade some of the more aggressive prewar practices such as throws and chokes".

    What exactly were those practices? I'm having difficulty imagining kendoka throwing their shinais at each other and immedietly after jump trying to recover it, only to throw the shinai again. Hehe would be a pretty sight.

    Anyone know what kind of practices the book is refering to?

    Thanks :-)

  • #2
    I think it was refering to throwing eachother, not the shinai. I imagine it as kendo with a bit of judo or something mixed in. In a few old videos I've seen, a lot of foot sweeps were used too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Try searching for a thread that I started called : OLD KENDO VID... Or something in that line...


      Im sure you will get a good idea! I hope...

      Cheers
      Last edited by Berserker; 29th March 2008, 04:53 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nevermind... Found it for you!

        OLD video clip


        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the link :-)

          Looks less elegant but must be pretty difficult

          Comment


          • #6
            Has anyone got any video of pre war kendo? ( Kendo-You Asked for it was filmed in 1952)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Moose View Post
              Has anyone got any video of pre war kendo? ( Kendo-You Asked for it was filmed in 1952)


              O.k, do you use foor sweeps in kendo today?
              That was a video clip that shows some foot sweeps - thats why I added it...

              Sorry, I don't have anything better!

              Last edited by Berserker; 29th March 2008, 07:13 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I only asked because I was wondering if the "you asked for it" clip (1952) was a sort of half way house between pre war kendo and todays.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Moose View Post
                  I only asked because I was wondering if the "you asked for it" clip (1952) was a sort of half way house between pre war kendo and todays.
                  To be honost, that is as close to the old style kendo as I have seen... But it must have changed even before 1952... Good point...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have one (if the description is right) from 1940:
                    click me

                    Interestingly I have spotted no foot-sweeps or whatever. What doesn't mean that they haven't been practised those days.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ho-leee cow!

                      Now THAT (foot sweeps) is one thing I'm glad we don't do anymore! It would be kinda hard going back to work on Monday with bruises all the way up to my bawtucks and having to explain to the boss why I can't sit at my desk.

                      "Sorry, Mr. Boss, but I got my butt kicked this weekend" does NOT constitute a viable "sick day" excuse!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Maaku-san View Post
                        Ho-leee cow!

                        Now THAT (foot sweeps) is one thing I'm glad we don't do anymore! It would be kinda hard going back to work on Monday with bruises all the way up to my bawtucks and having to explain to the boss why I can't sit at my desk.
                        While I have never trained anywhere that does footsweeps (though several in my dojo would go for it), I am in the minority that finds them appealing, probably because I have them done to me in other martial arts.

                        If you do any sport/MA with a decent amount of contact your body will adjust and you start to bruise less. Perhaps one develops a thicker skin? I guess one could look into the basis behind some of the iron body training to figure out why.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My eye probably is not that expert yet, but from what I saw, even when there is a lot that it does not exist in kendo anymore I still can see in today's kendo the old pre war kendo in so many ways. Thank you for posting this vids, was pretty intresting

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            prewar

                            Originally posted by Esben View Post
                            Hello

                            I just got my hands on a book that describes how postwar Kendo was "...reformulated with new rules that forbade some of the more aggressive prewar practices such as throws and chokes".

                            What exactly were those practices? I'm having difficulty imagining kendoka throwing their shinais at each other and immedietly after jump trying to recover it, only to throw the shinai again. Hehe would be a pretty sight.

                            Anyone know what kind of practices the book is refering to?

                            Thanks :-)
                            I've been told, in Japan, that prewar, one of the rules was that if you could take your opponent's men, end of story. And some dojo practiced footsweeps, too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I believe that while foot-sweeps and chokes were sanctioned (encouraged) in pre-war kendo, they weren't allowed in pre-war kendo competition. The focus in shiai was still yuko-datotsu. Matches were ippon-shobu, no time limit and no shiaijo.

                              It should be noted however that "pre-War" kendo refers to kendo of the early Showa era. It had a lot to do with nationalistic fervour and preparing for war. The kendo prior to that (Taisho era), was most probably different again.

                              I think there's the unspoken idea that "pre-war kendo" refers to all kendo that came before the war, going right back to the sword ban. I don't think this is an accurate assumption.

                              b

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X