X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research for a project

Welp im doing my senior project on Kendo (recently joined a class!) and was wondering if anyone knows any books that give a good History of Kendo. I check my library and nothing shows up im guessing amazon ebay or random book store my only choice. So any recommendations?

Hey, I got like 3 books at home on kendo, that I didn't even buy! I borrowed them from other Kenshi and Sensei. The first place you may want to go, is to ask a Sensei about it, they probably will have a book, and video. Then go to other Kenshi, I am sure someone will have one too. In addition to that, try doing and interview with a Sensei, that is good to use as well. Well good luck on finding something!

Comment

Checking with your instructor is a good idea, but I cant believe that your local book store doesnt have anything, at the Borders here, there are like 10 books (not bad for Miami where kendo isnt that big) and I also found some old books at a used book store with some intersting (though mostly false info) and they were cheap too. Like a dollar, so check the used books stores.

Comment

Originally posted by khehtra
        Welp im doing my senior project on Kendo (recently joined a class!) and was wondering if anyone knows any books that give a good History of Kendo.
        History of kendo... some dude wanted to practice swordfighting without actually killing the other person. Wooden swords were used. Yada yada yada... a martial art was born.

Comment

it's quite hard to find books about kendo. the only books that i found that was really close to kendo was Go Rin No Sho and another book, which i haven't read yet. senseis usually have a great collection of books. you should hope that not all of them are in japanese though.

~taganahan

Comment

For a quick read, and one well penned, I recommend:
            http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/article2.htm

It's from a professor at San Jose State University (and a 7th dan) on the history and progression of Kendo.

Also, while the Zen sentiments of Bushido and Hagakure can be found in Go-Rin-No-Sho (The Book of Five Rings), the fighting styles reflect Kenjutsu more. Consider that piece only for its philosophical, not physical, value in relation to Kendo.

Comment

Erhm, the original post mentioned the article being on the full history of Kendo. This, rather, is in relation to the modern history, but still is quite well written.

For earlier history:
              http://www.kendo.or.jp/english-page/...y-of-kendo.htm

Comment

oh ... i'm in vietnam
                sensei didnt tolen me anything about kendo history
                i wanna know it much

Comment

.....books

Originally posted by khehtra
                  Welp im doing my senior project on Kendo (recently joined a class!) and was wondering if anyone knows any books that give a good History of Kendo. I check my library and nothing shows up im guessing amazon ebay or random book store my only choice. So any recommendations?
                  If your still looking for books for info about kendo you can try these books .....

1.) The Shambala Guide to Kendo
                  by Minoru Kiyota

2.) The Heart of Kendo : A Comprehensive Introduction to the Philosophy and Practice of the Art of the Sword
                  by Darrell Max Craig

...... and they are both available in www.amazon.com

Comment

And:

"This is Kendo" by Junzo Sasamori and Gordon Warner

"Fighting Men of Japan" by F.J. Norman, available through this web site.

More reading at:

www.ejmas.com

Comment

Here's an interesting post on the historical relationship between kendo and itto-ryu.

Comment

Working...
                      X