X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The assassination of Oda Nobunaga

I know the basics of Oda Nobunaga's death, but I have been wondering about the truth. When I looked into it, I found many rumors mixed in with the facts. I had been hoping that someone would know more about this. Thank you.
    Last edited by Shido; 8th April 2004, 11:41 AM.

Nobunaga was betrayed by one of his generals Akechi Mitsuhide. Surrounded in his Kyoto residence by Akechi, Nobunaga either died by commiting seppuku or perished in the fire that broke out.

The reasons for Akechi's betrayal can be found in the link below:

http://www.samurai-archives.com/nobunaga.html

Comment

thanks, I always wondered what really happened.

Comment

i was told his general had him shot because he changed sides, and the irony is that he was shot by the musket, the very weapon he had single handedly equipped japan with

Comment

the difficult thing about great historical figure, especialy the one's before the 19th century is that there are too many myths surrounding them, Nobunaga is one another one is Takeda Shingen, in fact Takeda's death is much more controversial than Nobunaga's IMO. While it's clear that Nobunaga died because of Akech's treason it's not quite clear whether Takeda was killed (assasinated) or died of sickness.

Comment

Takeda was shot by a Nobunaga Sniper, then his death was covered up for a while.

Comment

You can see this story about Takeda Shingen in Akira Kurosawas "Kagemusha" a fantastic movie!
              The story of the rise and fall of Nobunaga and other great men in Japanese history can be found in "Taiko" by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's a great read!
              So is his book "Musashi"

cheers Michael

Comment

I have seen Kagemusha, it was good, cheap camera, and old movie but still quality, if I remember correctly Shingen dies, and a look-a-like takes his place for an unbelievable amount of time. Really interestering. Has anyone heard any theories of Oda's sisters role in his death?

Comment

is oda's sister like mironei or something like that I heard that she acted as his personal body guard for some time and had something to do with the assasination, not too clear on the details, my conversational partner from japan told me this,... I'm still working on his english ....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shido
                    I know the basics of Oda Nobunaga's , but I have been wondering about the truth. When I looked into it, I found many rumors mixed in with the facts. I had been hoping that someone would know more about this. Thank you.
                    Okay... okay. You got me. I did it.

Comment

ah ha ! I knew it

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                      Okay... okay. You got me. I did it.
                      hai hai, I wanted to do it, your just lucky you found him before I did

Comment

Oda Nobunaga

It's amazing how many different deaths Oda has gone through. I guess since around that time scruptures weren't kept, then again Owari temple was burned to the ground as well. Which brings me to what is in the book the rise and fall of Oda Nobunaga, during the raid against Owari after the fire had been set to the temple and the Oda forces routed when they gained entry to find Nobunaga no body was ever found and was believed Nobunaga had died in the flames. However, it's all speculation because no one really knew what happened. Later on Hideyoshi lived out Oda's dream of unifaction of japan, when he succeded he brought peace and prosparity throughout Japan for quite awhile.
                        Last edited by red2426; 7th October 2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Way to resurrect a 6 year old thread.

Comment

and in a few moments, Nobunaga will resurrect too, LOL

Comment

heres one if you dont like the thread dont visit it gtfo

Comment

Working...
                              X