X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASAKI KOJIRO

I thought because of the amount talked about the fella , people might like these links. Strangely or not so strangely , he mostly appears in tandem with Musashi. Sad as he was a swordsman of great renown in his own right. Some of these sites need a little sifting through unrelated articles. The last link has a great statue of him on the Kintai Bridge.

cheers michael.

http://www.hostallero.com/hostallero_musashi_kojiro.htm

http://www.hikyaku.com/cgi-bin/mainw...o+dico/hisgifg

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Court...553/duels.html

http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/~sasaki-y/a...80618-e02.html
    Last edited by gsx1100s; 29th June 2004, 02:25 PM.

That is a beautiful statue...........

Comment

Indeed, quite an awesome statue, full of dignity and reserve. I've been searching for days about Sasaki Kojiro info! It's great to know there are other people who are as interested in the man known virtually only for being defeated my Musashi. Also, does anyone know if Kojiro's "Swallow Turn" technique is still in practice? I would be very interested to know!

Comment

The records over here in Kokura point to the fact that Sasaki was still in his early twenties. This would account for the fact that he had yet to make a name for himself. Using a Sanjaku was not such a rarity in those times. Many ryu settled for a shorter weapon when Tokugawa enforced the Teisun standard which would force them to practice in secret with anything over 2.3.

We had a ceremony last year to commemorate Sasaki's death.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyaku
          The records over here in Kokura point to the fact that Sasaki was still in his early twenties. This would account for the fact that he had yet to make a name for himself. Using a Sanjaku was not such a rarity in those times. Many ryu settled for a shorter weapon when Tokugawa enforced the Teisun standard which would force them to practice in secret with anything over 2.3.

We had a ceremony last year to commemorate Sasaki's death.
          you did???
          is he really that famous in japan.....i didn't know!

his sword was 3 feet, wasn't it?
          (did he really have a monky....or is this just fiction from the musashi tale?)

Comment

i have been looking for information on him for a while but nothing of great volume it is said though he never was able to make a proper name for himself and musashi gave him plenty of time to train for the duel they waited one year with the agreement to train and then duel, but that is the only "secret" stuff and I don't even know if it is true

Comment

I found his portrayal in Eiji Yoshikawa's novel so off-putting that I think I will forever bear him bad will. Without any real historical information, how would one dislodge the bad impression?

You know what's really neat? Check out the picture of the Nozomi Super Express train at the bottom of the www.sol.dti.ne.jp link.

Comment

??

Originally posted by shotoblogger
                I found his portrayal in Eiji Yoshikawa's novel so off-putting that I think I will forever bear him bad will. Without any real historical information, how would one dislodge the bad impression?

You know what's really neat? Check out the picture of the Nozomi Super Express train at the bottom of the www.sol.dti.ne.jp link.
                what did it say ? was the history not ever correct ? or was it just the author's judgment of character ?

Comment

Originally posted by fe-taru tora
                  what did it say ? was the history not ever correct ? or was it just the author's judgment of character ?
                  Well, you just have to read the book. It's only a novel, you know.

Comment

and a damn cool one......

Comment

3 feet doesnt sound THAT big to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Twobitmage
                        3 feet doesnt sound THAT big to me..
                        One shaku is around 33 cm. That makes his 3ft 3 inches. A sword blade is measured from the habaki to kensaki. Tsuka is a seperate measurement. Not as you would measure a shinai.

Top pic on this page shows a blade the same length as Sasaki compared with a standard Japanese blade. (Bottom two above bokken)

http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hyaku
                          One shaku is around 33 cm. That makes his 3ft 3 inches. A sword blade is measured from the habaki to kensaki. Tsuka is a seperate measurement. Not as you would measure a shinai.

Top pic on this page shows a blade the same length as Sasaki compared with a standard Japanese blade. (Bottom two above bokken)

http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage2.html
                          that blade is insane !!! I could never even think of wielding that, maybe against a horse but jezzussss

Comment

peaople were just smaller then.....

Comment

I thought sasaki was portayed good in the Musashi tv series (49 eps).. he didn't have a monkey or wild bird like in the book.. but he seemed to bang every girl he met..

other than that.. he had a saitou hajime type of no bullshit personality, unlike the book where they made him seem like a kid who didn't want to grow up.

Comment

Working...
                              X