X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminology: seitei

I'm confused about the ZNKR seitei for iaido, jodo, etc.

First, the definition: I understand from the Kendo America dictionary that seitei means "face to face." But what does it refer to? kata in which there are two participants? I don't understand the significance of the definition.

Second, the rationale: why does ZNKR have practice for iaido and jodo? Are the ZNKR seitei supposed to relate iaido and jodo to kendo more than the traditional forms? Do the iaido and jodo seitei have any relationship to grading?

This article might get you started on an explanation:

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue3/seite.html

Comment

Originally posted by shotoblogger
      First, the definition: I understand from the Kendo America dictionary that seitei means "face to face." But what does it refer to? kata in which there are two participants? I don't understand the significance of the definition.
      BTW, these kanji for "seitei" means "established" or "standardized." It has nothing to do with "face to face."

Second, the rationale: why does ZNKR have practice for iaido and jodo? Are the ZNKR seitei supposed to relate iaido and jodo to kendo more than the traditional forms? Do the iaido and jodo seitei have any relationship to grading?
      The ZNKR formed an iaido committee in the late 1960s because a number of sensei became concerned that many kendoka were losing touch with the martial roots of kendo and were losing all knowledge of how to handle a katana, which is what the shinai represents. This committee created the seitei gata, or standardized forms, so that there could be some uniformity in grading between practitioners of different ryuha.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon
        BTW, these kanji for "seitei" means "established" or "standardized." It has nothing to do with "face to face."

The ZNKR formed an iaido committee in the late 1960s because a number of sensei became concerned that many kendoka were losing touch with the martial roots of kendo and were losing all knowledge of how to handle a katana, which is what the shinai represents. This committee created the seitei gata, or standardized forms, so that there could be some uniformity in grading between practitioners of different ryuha.
        Okay, how about jodo?

Comment

Working...
        X