X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musashi vs. giant bats?

There is an exhibit of ukiyo-e prints at a museum near my home. Our local newspaper showed one on its front page of a swordsman fighting giants bats. The caption says it is a depiction of Musashi from a legend about his being attacked by bats. I am skeptical. Has anyone heard of this legend before?

well theres a kabuki play where he kills a ghost/demon (forget which)

and a painting of him killing a dragon

Comment

............ a giant bat?????

never heard of this tale........

Comment

sounds cool

Comment

Originally posted by Twobitmage
          well theres a kabuki play where he kills a ghost/demon (forget which)

and a painting of him killing a dragon
          Thanks. Do you have any more info on these, like the name of the play, etc.?

Comment

What a concidence, I just happened to watch a movie about him today. Is it true that for his practice he would kill swallows in the air?

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
              What a concidence, I just happened to watch a movie about him today. Is it true that for his practice he would kill swallows in the air?
              Are you talking about the "Samurai" movie series with Toshiro Mifune playing Musashi that is based on the Yoshikawa novel? Yoshikawa has Sasaki Kojiro cutting down swallows, not Musashi. Not that I know if either actually did that.

Comment

Originally posted by shotoblogger
                There is an exhibit of ukiyo-e prints at a museum near my home. Our local newspaper showed one on its front page of a swordsman fighting giants bats. The caption says it is a depiction of Musashi from a legend about his being attacked by bats. I am skeptical. Has anyone heard of this legend before?
                No youre confused with the robotic monkeys with radioactive rubber pants

Comment

The caption says it is a depiction of Musashi from a legend about his being attacked by bats. I am skeptical.
                  Have you ever wondered why there aren't any giant bats around today?

well it's because of Musashi....

the crazy bastard killed them all!

that print is the first documented record of total species extinction!

Comment

Were the swallows unladen?

Comment

Are you sure it wasn't Batman ??? No wonder I can see him anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Lloromannic
                        Were the swallows unladen?
                        Were they African or European?

(Being King, You have to know these things)

Comment

It would not be a bad idea to practice test cutting, hit the swallow first and then the coconut.

Comment

Are you talking about the "Samurai" movie series with Toshiro Mifune playing Musashi that is based on the Yoshikawa novel? Yoshikawa has Sasaki Kojiro cutting down swallows, not Musashi. Not that I know if either actually did that.
                            Yes I am, and it was pretty good (it was part 2).

And about the swallows, I will never trust an anime magazine again!
                            (they were doing a samurai special)

Comment

swallows & bats

Given the high average airspeed velocity of an unladen japanese giant bat, I must say I think this is just a legend.

Comment

Working...
                              X