Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UMMM, I am not a woman... I guess your problem is not about being mature but you really need to get a life. Well, I guess that includes me too...

Originally posted by Hisham
    hehehe typical woman thinking ,if you mean by that playing video games till we die then i agree

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
      UMMM, I am not a woman... I guess your problem is not about being mature but you really need to get a life. Well, I guess that includes me too...
      Yeah i guess it's about time i grow up ,on second thought nah

Comment

I m personaly more into the form of kendo instead of
        eager to win all the time..
        conquer your enemy 's spirite and mind is the final goal.

Comment

right

Originally posted by soapdish
          Reading your posts EzzzE it sounds as though you have developed one inherently faulty thesis. That Kumdo and Kendo are different.

The WKA is an unfortunate anomaly. It is sad that its founder was once a greate Kumdo practitioner in the KKA.

I also submit that your analysis of Dr. Bennets article is entirely misplaced. Your concerns frankly speaking arise from your own flawed analysis.

Firstly to reiterate Ken/Kum = sword depending on the country's hanja/kanje pronounciation. Do = Path in both Korea, Japan and China. You first fail to grasp this very fundamental concept.

If you don't then your second inherent flaw of analysis is that you have never practiced Kumdo in Korea, rather you live vicariously through second hand sources. This is fundamentally flawed analysis of the 'divergence' between Kendo/Kumdo as you posit.

I would personally be disgusted if Kendo/Kumdo would be relegated to the Olympics for popular appeal. However this is only the view of the WKA.

I would like you to read another one of my posts earlier :

"Anyway. Anyone ever heard of Aiga Naoki? Yeah strangely enough this gracious practitioner trains in Korea now and then. Yep, he's even friends with Park Sang Sub who was the 2003 Domestic Korean Open Champion and integral member of the Korean National squad. Makes you think dont it? But enough of subtelties:

5. 한국의 검도 스타일은?

미국이나 영국등 구라파 선수들은 물론 한국선수들과의 시합 내용은 일본에서 하는 시합과 별 차이가 없습니다. 한국 검도 스타일과 일본 스타일을 따지지 말고 어느 누구하고 검도 시합을 하든 똑같은 마음으로 임해야 한다고 생각합니다. 한국선수들은 체격도 좋고 힘도 좋지만 특별히 까다롭다고 생각하지 않습니다.
          Available at http://www.pentagon.co.kr/gray/main.htm click on the picture of Aiga Naoki Sensei.

Basically this is an excerpt of an interview by a Korean Kumdo player with Aiga Naoki. The question was what do you think of the Korean Kendo/Kumdo style? Aiga Naoki Sensei simply replied, "you know i actually think its a misconception that Koreans are any different in terms of how they practice and compete to us (Japan). Alot of Koreans are well built and quite strong, so I suppose it seems as though that when they compete people remark that they are a different to Japan. Not so, the feeling I get when the compete against us is that their training and shiai style is the same".
          This doesn't go to prove or disprove any of your arguments. It just goes to show that alot these misconceptions are often in the eye of the beholder. Here is a gracious champion who after years of experience can perceive no 'difference' in styles. Makes you think dont it?"

Korean Kumdo is competitive for 400000 members. Just as competitive as the millions who practice in the Japanese Kendo Renmei.

Only the small divide and infight as we are doing here. No matter what arguments you try to devise , that is exactly what we are doing. If you look at the IKF, and top members between the KKA and ZNKR there is nothing but cooperation and continuing education between the organisations. They are the ones who are working best for the future of Kendo/Kumdo, your flawed analysis of Korean Kumdo only exacerbates hostility towards Koreans living outside Korea who practice Kumdo/Kendo.
          i agree with u hole hartedly. u said everything i wanted but was having a hard time putting into words. so much going on in my head right now! writing a master thesis is a b@#$h!

i don't mean to ride on ur coattails either.

Comment

great read

Originally posted by mingshi
            You bloody started it. Baka.
            Some people need to read 1,000 times of that article before posting anything.
            yeah ur right people need to read it as many times as possible. great aticle. it clarified a lot of things for me. actually i think it's one of the most objective pieces of writing i've read in quite some time.

p.s. i know ur sensei. i met her a few years back in hong kong. i was put in contact with her by my sabum in korea who met in 2001 at the big tourny in hong kong. anyway ida's great. i learned a lot from her during that short time. i was really a beginner thin.

i think i fell in love after the first time she hit me with her jook do/shinai. something about a woman hitting me with a stick that's agreeable.

sorry about ickiness

Comment

So this DID turn into a kendo/kumdo comparison thread. *sigh* Reinventing the wheel guys... Reinventing the wheel.

Tim

Comment

Just thought I'd chime in with my opinion. If you want to see kendo fall from grace, make it an Olympic event. The article referenced earlier, "Korea: The Black Ships of Kendo," reminded the reader about the consequences that befell judo. For me, history seems to be repeating itself but this time the main character is taekwondo (WTF variety). Sure, the Olympics has greatly increased the popularity of taekwondo but it has also drastically decreased the quality of the martial art.

In order to make it more accessable to a larger audience, the requirements of taekwondo have been dumbed down to ridiculus levels. If you practiced taekwondo say 20 years ago, you would laugh at how little is required of practitioners today. It's seen as a children's martial art, a very unintended result, I'm sure, of the WTF's method of popularization. As a result, taekwondo gets very little respect in martial art circles.

If you look at the current crop of competitors outside of Korea, their techniques are all crap (and I happen to live outside of Korea). I think it's because every country practices just to beat the Koreans and not for the sake of the technique itself. Additionally, it seems that all the techniques taught to students are geared towards scoring points and almost no one is teaching the difference between the sport and the martial art (the differences are subtle but are significant enough). Kim Un Yong, former president of the WTF, stated that there is no difference between the sport and the martial art, though even a lowly practitioner like myself can see that there is a difference in attitude, philosophy and technique to say the least.

Taekwondo has undergone a number of scoring changes, since its Olympic inception, to make the bouts more exciting to the casual viewer - sound familiar? It's a differential scoring system that awards points for hitting different targets under different circumstances. Taekwondo fights use to be so beautiful - good technique to aspire to and learn from; awesome strategy that requires a little insight (and patience) from the viewer to understand; and the clash of indomitable fighting spirit between two honorable fighters. I'm just a beginner but these are some of the things I love about kendo and miss about taekwondo.

I won't even touch the problem politics going on in taekwondo but it seems that honor has all but abandoned taekwondo and that hurts. Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic but I think my newfound interest in kendo fills the need within me that used to be filled by taekwondo. When people practicing kendo speak of honor, discipline, loyalty, etc., they mean it! It's not just a marketing ploy to attract new students but a very integral, actual part of training. For true martial artists, taekwondo is now only a shadow of what it used to be. I would very truly hate to see the same thing happen to kendo because of a well-intentioned desire but poorly implemented scheme to popularize it.

Vive la resistance!

Comment

I agree with SeoulMan and TKD is a pretty nice example, if kendo has to be "macdojofied" then to hell with that kina popularizing process.
                  IMHO it's like the difference between a fruit that takes its natural time to grow and another one that's grown fast and has a perfect shape but has no taste or can't compare to the first when eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by EzzzE
                    if i am wrong then i am gladly proven right that kendo and kumdo are essentially the same. i don't want to degrade kumdo in any way, or the koreans, jeez i know a korean girl i consider a nice person.
                    Indirect racism.

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
                      By nature, men just cannot grow up .... Word "Mature" is created by woman which man are nothing to do...
                      It's not that we can't grow up, it's that we don't want to grow up. One of my favorite quotations is "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up." After all, we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.

I reject your generalizations and substitute my own........

Comment

I feel this does not bode well:

From the article:
                        We intend to introduce electronic armour to assist in umpiring. We also intend to make kicks valid for scoring points, and also an accumulative point system to encourage positive and successive attacking. We are looking at ways to make it more interesting.(26)"

Comment

Originally posted by Hisham
                          I agree with SeoulMan and TKD is a pretty nice example, if kendo has to be "macdojofied" then to hell with that kina popularizing process.
                          IMHO it's like the difference between a fruit that takes its natural time to grow and another one that's grown fast and has a perfect shape but has no taste or can't compare to the first when eaten.
                          just like beer.. homebrew, in general, tastes better

what kendo needs is sort of grassroot approach, instead of mass commercialization like TKD.

pete

Comment

Working...
                          X