Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo - Meiji Period

Hi All,

I've been practicing Kendo for around 5 years now and also collect antique Japanese photographs from the Meiji period. I've added a few interesting photos of Kendo to my collection over the years and wanted to share a few of them here for those that may be interested.

Unfortunately the forum won't let me attach images over 20kb and when I resized them to thumbnail size to attach I get an invalid file error. So not sure what's going on there.

You can view a few of the photos on my website - though I'd prefer to post them here as I haven't uploaded them all yet. Any way around this?

https://www.photosofjapan.com

cheers,

Ben

Figured it out! Here are a few from the collection. The stances are wider and I wonder if we'll ever see an arm bar reintroduced

Comment

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I think I'll save them to use as examples.

Comment

I've seen pinning someone's head down with a shinai in police kendo... only once and not for scoring purposes. It's done in a way that the force is on the mengane so there's no danger to the receiver.

Do note that these photos were staged and often exaggerated poses for drama.

Comment

Two more interesting prints from the 1880s which show similar grappling to the photo above as well as shinai vs. kama !

Comment

Working...
          X