X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who invented kendo

I was wondering who invented kendo. Was he/she old or young? Japanese or Chinese? Or maybe even Korean? I dont know. Please tell me!

It was by the Japanese... of course. And their wasn't one founder. Also, it wasn't invented. It's a complation of various Kenjutsu school's...

A couple of the founders were:

Sasaburo Takano
    Moriji Mochida (Or was he just a proificent Kendo-ka?)...

I'll let a more knowledge Kenshi fill in the missing spots...

Comment

ummm.. i don't think that there was a single point in time where one person just said, " oh lets invent something to practice kenjutsu without hurting ourselves". But as far as i know, it was individually devloped amongst different schools in Japan during the feudal eras. The modern version was brought back (and not invented) after WW2.

The question itself is so vague that the issue of who (or which country) invented it alone (since you mentioned Korea and China) will pop up and take up posts and posts of discussion...

Tim

Comment

Thanks you guys! That helped my curious mind. P.S. I love the Homer Simpson line!!!!

Comment

its a bit like asking who invented hockey...nobody really knows

Comment

Originally posted by samurai999
            devloped amongst different schools in Japan during the feudal eras. The modern version was brought back (and not invented) after WW2.
            Wait. There's a big gap in your time-line between the end of the feudal era and the ressumption of Japanese sovereinty in 1950(ish).

There had to be kendo between the feudal era and the war. Didn't some organization draw up the rules (or at least some guidelines) to "kendo" after the end of the Edo era?

Asking who invented kendo is the wrong question. You want to know who published the first set of (accepted) guidelines to kendo (or Japanese fencing, sparring in bogu, etc.) which then became the basis for post-war/modern kendo.

I invented kendo. (patent pending)

Comment

I believe the Japanese got together with God and worked out the ultimate Budo and named it Kendo. And all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                I believe the Japanese got together with God and worked out the ultimate Budo and named it Kendo. And all was good.
                hahahahahah nice one optomitrist

Comment

Originally posted by Jerott-Clark
                  I was wondering who invented kendo. Was he/she old or young? Japanese or Chinese? Or maybe even Korean? I dont know. Please tell me!
                  I am 99% sure our Hai_hai had something to do with the creation of kendo.......or was that the destruction.... cannot remember.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM
                    Wait. There's a big gap in your time-line between the end of the feudal era and the ressumption of Japanese sovereinty in 1950(ish).

There had to be kendo between the feudal era and the war. Didn't some organization draw up the rules (or at least some guidelines) to "kendo" after the end of the Edo era?

Asking who invented kendo is the wrong question. You want to know who published the first set of (accepted) guidelines to kendo (or Japanese fencing, sparring in bogu, etc.) which then became the basis for post-war/modern kendo.

Yes... asking who invented kendo is like asking who invented calbee or roast beef or prime rib. (mmmm calbee)

But i think you are right when you say that there was "pre-war kendo" but as far as I know there was no real "organizing body" back in those feudal days. Maybe after the samurai class came to an end that they actually came up with something... *shrug*

Tim

Comment

Maybe he got Kendo confused with Tai Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Jerott-Clark
                        This article might be of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM
                          can you give me hanshi?

Comment

Well, I would say the Japanese, since it is derived from Japanese swordmanship.

Comment

Hey hey, let's not forget

" In the beginning, there was a light"

I am giving all credit to Jedi council to create Kendo. But very soon, US will buy whole copy right anyway and sell it to Ronald Mac dojo... Damn, Americans...

Originally posted by Optomitrist

Comment

Working...
                              X