X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worship me

I downloaded the three files and put them here for you kendo addicts.

go to

http://mediamax.streamload.com/darknails/Hosted/

and download the obvious files. ENJOY!

Someone please get the SUBTITLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails

I would, but I don't know how to and I have no time.

Comment

Interesting! I downloaded it, and I'll have to watch it with my kids tonight.

There was a Korean subtitle in the original broadcast for the hearing impaired. Someone did a pretty good job of summarizing in a previous posts. I'll do a post after I watch the program all the way through, if there's anything pertinent. I'm interested in the mind games that the coaches play on their players and the physical wear and tear that kumdo requires.

By the way, the mother of one of the players is holding onto his baby clothe, not his old uniform. It's a traditional Korean shirt for newborn babies.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed61086
          I sent these files to my sabaunim, and he asked me if I wanted to go to Kumdo college(he has serious hookups), so I might be going next year, how crazy is that?!
          Hey - I'm trying to get my dojang to do something similar, for our highschoolers. The basic idea is to stay & train for a week each, with a high school team, a college team, and a company team, with some sightseeing thrown in, for a month long trip. Interestingly, the two schools in the video, Yong In and Daegu, are in the dialog as potential college host.

Both schools have a great reputation for kumdo, having produced many national team members, both men and women. I don't know about Daegu, but Yong In has a very nice facility.

Are you thinking about a longer-term stay?

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by johnkichu

By the way, the mother of one of the players is holding onto his baby clothe, not his old uniform. It's a traditional Korean shirt for newborn babies.
            My mistake. The hanboks I've seen were always more extravagant. Rarely just pure white.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails
              I downloaded the three files and put them here for you kendo addicts.

go to

http://mediamax.streamload.com/darknails/Hosted/

and download the obvious files. ENJOY!

"These files are so popular that the MediaMax account owner has run out of downloads in the account."

Thanks anyway for trying! Those who downloaded the files - your turn to upload them oneigaishimasu!

Comment

yes please, someone upload them???

Comment

Ok – finally saw the whole thing. Others have covered most of the details in previous posts, so I’ll just share some of my observations here – a poor man’s subtitle – and my own thoughts at the end.

Park Byunghoon, of Yong In University, is suffering from some kind of ankle injury in his right ankle. He is clearly in a lot of pain, and later you see that he can't put his weight on his right ankle.

There is a scene where the camera pans all the medals and trophies won by No Younghoon, of Daegu University. Except for one, they are all for second place. Ever since he was in middle/high school, No’s always been linked to, and in Park’s shadow. In fact, there was a magazine article about the two of them when they were in high school. He finally beat Park the previous year.

No’s father observes that Park is quicker on his feet and improvises better than his son, who is more of a classic, text book fighter. The whole family here is behind No, as is Park’s family (interestingly, they never show Park’s father – perhaps he passed away?).

At both schools, it is forbidden to leave campus before a big tournament. However, as the ranking members of their respective teams, No and Park get some latitude. When No leaves for home, some of his juniors are envious, not knowing that he’s going home for medical treatment. No is generally fatigued and suffering from cold/flu symptoms.

There is a funny scene at Daegu U – during practice, we see all the students drop their jukdo’s and run to the entrance. It’s the academic counselor, there to check up on those guys who have been skipping classes or whose grades have been suffering. One of the athletes mention that he’s been practicing so much that he doesn’t have time to go to class or turn things in.

The second episode is called “Whipping a Running Horse,” as in whipping a horse that is already running full tilt. As the title suggests, it shows the coaches pushing both athletes to the limit, and then some, and encouraging them. Park’s coach points out areas of improvements and offers to buy him rice wine (makoli, not sake – a much more coarse form of rice wine) if he improves.

Both No and Park are keenly aware of each other (perhaps too much so, as both end up losing to others) No knows that this will be the last time that he will face Park as a student. Park also wants to regain his individual title back from No. He doesn’t want anything stopping him. He complains that his vision is blocked because he has a sty in his eye, and then calms bursts & squeezes it out. This had to be painful.

No’s coach takes him (and another athlete) to his alma mater, another local college, for demonstrations, hopefully to pump them up. No also likes to train by himself, and we see him doing so at night, breaking in a new jukdo (shinai) that his father bought him. He mentions that his father knows jukdo’s a lot better than he does. It’s clear that his family is 110% behind him in kumdo (as is Park’s family). This was one of the most striking thing I noticed.

Daegu University team holds a final practice with the Korean National Team. No observes that the National Team members are at a different level from where he is, in terms of power and speed. He loses 1:0, and is happy that he wasn’t totally dominated.

Both athletes can’t sleep as the tournament approaches. No packs away a uniform which his dad got him – used only for competition. Park frets about the pressure of being a team captain and the acting coach, as his coach was abruptly called away to Japan on business. He talks about how he can remember every detail of the match he lost (to No), the specific moves and the point he lost (he lost in overtime).

Daegu team leaves the day before the tournament (Daegu is much further away from Seoul – Yongin is 1-2 hours away). On the bus ride to Seoul, we see No taking cold medication. Yongin leaves for Seoul the day of the tournament. 19 colleges will be there for three days of competition.

Interesting scene of officials (shimpans) huddling before the start of the matches. The lead official talks about lousy officiating in a soccer match that the Korean team played in (this must have been during the World Cup games), and reminds everyone not to be like that. Then there is the jukdo weigh-in, which was also interesting. The official weighing the jukdo’s mention that better players use heavier jukdo’s.

Both No and Park get nervous and No seeks out Park to exchange greetings and wish each other good luck, etc… They are clearly happy to see each other. Park mentions that he wasn’t planning on competing as an individual, until he found out No was.

Park’s right ankle is bothering him. He steps on it gingerly – I can’t believe he is stomping on that foot! Park wins his first match, and the relief on his mother’s face is just unbelievable. I have two sons doing kumdo, and I’m not sure if I can do what she’s doing. No watches Park’s first match in silence.

Next we see Park in the round of 16, which he loses. The auditorium is stunned and silent for a moment. He was the favorite to win, but his ankle clearly is limiting his mobility and the exactness of his attacks. He is resigned, praises his opponent, and looks forward to the team competition.

No’s father tells him to relax, and be comfortable. No makes it to the quarter final, and loses. His teammates, his father, and also he himself, look a little shell shocked. His mom says that she feels unworthy to face the coach for letting him down. No mentions that the first thing in his mind when he loses is his parents, then his coach, and teammates.

Meanwhile, every individual competitor from Yongin has lost. They go back to school and go straight to more practice. Clock shows 11 PM. Each is dealing with self doubt. They sit around in a circle mentally psyched themselves up.

At the second day of competition, Yongin faces Chosun U, which is considered the strongest team. It’s tied 2:2, and the team captains face each other. Park is up against the person that beat No the previous day – this is the number 1, 2, 3 of college kumdo in Korea. Park loses, and the team is silent. Outside, the professor who accompanied them (in the coach’s place ,who is in Japan) states that they did not lose due to lack of skills, but from mental lapses.

Daegu does much better in team competition, but No is not competing in the team.

On the last day, Yongin must win the wild card game in order to progess. They start slowly, but begin to score, and score and score. Next we see Yongin in the finals, facing Daegu. Yongin loses the first 4 games (7 member teams, not 5), and has effectively lost. The expression on their faces says it all. But they fight on, and end up losing 5:1. Park is embarrassed by the result and doesn’t even attend the awards ceremony. Daegu team celebrates and takes the flag home.

We see Park and No outside, after the match. They are talking, laughing, and snacking. The narrator says the competitors grow not just be winning, but also by losing ….

This was a well put together documentary. Sometimes it was touching, and almost always revealing, showing the human side of kumdo, behind the masks and all the rituals. The sacrifices that these guys, and their families, make are clearly shown. If you want to compete at this level, I guess this is what it takes. The competition is so fierce.

It is also kind of humbling – I know, as someone who practices 1-2 hours a day, (hopefully) 5-6 days a week, cannot compete with someone at this level. They’ve basically done nothing but kumdo, everyday of their lives for the past 10 years or so.

It’s not clear what the future holds for these guys. I know there are company teams, and of course, the national team. If you don’t make it into one of those teams, I guess you can become a teacher or an instructor somewhere. I wish them the best!

Comment

I downloaded all three and now I cant skip or fast forward. When I was streaming it when rainmaker first dropped the link I could FF. Now that I have have it saved on disk, I cant ff at all. Pleeeease help.

Comment

Can you upload on your FTP site ?? I will try to convert it again to other format..

Thanks,

Originally posted by Kapplow
                      I downloaded all three and now I cant skip or fast forward. When I was streaming it when rainmaker first dropped the link I could FF. Now that I have have it saved on disk, I cant ff at all. Pleeeease help.

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
                        Can you upload on your FTP site ?? I will try to convert it again to other format..

Thanks,
                        Sure! I can do it when I get home but it probably wont complete uploading until very late tonight. Did you ever get on the FTP and see that jikeiko?

Comment

Thank you, Darknails! EDIT: Oh, shoot, I can't get them, either.

Comment

I couldn't do it from office but it works from home...

Sure! I can do it when I get home but it probably wont complete uploading until very late tonight. Did you ever get on the FTP and see that jikeiko?

Comment

You can skip forward but not with winmedia . VLC works .

Comment

Download this player

I really recommend you to download this payer They are the best media player in the market. Koreans using this player more than MS Media Player.
                                Very powerful... It doesn't have any spyware so don't worry..
                                And yes, you can move forward and backward...

http://app.ipop.co.kr/gom/GOMPLAYERSETUP.EXE

Comment

Working...
                                X