X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mochida Moriji O-Sensei video!

For those who are interested, I have found a video of the supremely great Mochida Moriji here.

He has an immensely powerful kamae. Like Fudo-myu (The Immovable One) in person!

Comment

I guess ippon were defined differently at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by kendokamax View Post
        I guess ippon were defined differently at that time.
        I know what you mean, nobody's disputing the fact that he is great but you would get laughed out the shiaijo if you tried to claim that as ippon these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh View Post
          I know what you mean, nobody's disputing the fact that he is great but you would get laughed out the shiaijo if you tried to claim that as ippon these days.
          Why? Because of the mune? If so, then I respectfully disagree. It wasn't mune tsuki (an attack) but just a stand there and do nothing mune thing. I hate that and think it is bad kendo. It didn't even stop his forward motion.

I think he beautifully broke through the kamae and struck men well.

True, you probably would not get a point nowadays but my flag would have gone up.

Comment

maybe because of zan-shin ? but I couldnt say too much sometimes you have o be there to evaluate a good zan-shin.

I dont see a mune tsuki either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz View Post
              Why? Because of the mune? If so, then I respectfully disagree. It wasn't mune tsuki (an attack) but just a stand there and do nothing mune thing. I hate that and think it is bad kendo. It didn't even stop his forward motion.

I think he beautifully broke through the kamae and struck men well.

True, you probably would not get a point nowadays but my flag would have gone up.
              I don't see why the fact that the other guy was not attacking (I agree with this) has much effect on whether a point should be given. It's just like the old head dodging/excessive blocking debate. It doesn't matter what the other guy's doing, if you weren't able to make a clean strike then the problem lies with you. In this case it appears that Mochida sensei didn't break his composure completely. Anyway, I can't believe I am even saying this about a guy who would go on to become a 10th dan. I'm outta this discussion!

Comment

I have to wonder if people are watching the same video I am when they claim that there's no way that'd be ippon. Is it because he doesn't do the modern high-school run across the shiaijo shouting, "Men-n-n-n-men-me-me-me-n-n-n-men!" with hopping sideways and holding his shinai in a crappy jodan for extra "zanshin"? And, to me, it doesn't look like Nakano sensei even makes contact on his mune, at least not until after the strike has landed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Enfield View Post
                  I have to wonder if people are watching the same video I am when they claim that there's no way that'd be ippon. Is it because he doesn't do the modern high-school run across the shiaijo shouting, "Men-n-n-n-men-me-me-me-n-n-n-men!" with hopping sideways and holding his shinai in a crappy jodan for extra "zanshin"? And, to me, it doesn't look like Nakano sensei even makes contact on his mune, at least not until after the strike has landed.

Thats what I wanted to say =P... must practice more english. thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Enfield View Post
                    ok ya, but that's not the point. If you would be judging that match now, in 2007 , I'm not sure the point would have been considered valid.

There used to be no behind passes allowed in ice hockey, and there would still be great players at that time.

Comment

I would have given it, purely to pass my next grading.

Comment

To understand this video you have to see the whole documentary that it comes from. A fascinating look at kendo in the 20's and 30's.

Comment

Tell us more, Curtis!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                            Tell us more, Curtis!
                            There was a video special produced in Japan documenting kendo from the 20's and 30's leading up to WWII. It has all the great kendo masters of the day and a lot of tournament footage including matches before the Emperor of Japan. I got hold of a copy of it several years ago. Not sure how to get hold of it now. I would imagine it is available in Japan.

Interestingly I have met one of the sensei who performed kendo for Tojo (at least I think it was Tojo) as his last request before he was executed. Jifuku Sensei is about 90 now. Had a dinner party with him in November last year. Quite an interesting fellow with some good stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                              There was a video special produced in Japan documenting kendo from the 20's and 30's leading up to WWII. It has all the great kendo masters of the day and a lot of tournament footage including matches before the Emperor of Japan. I got hold of a copy of it several years ago. Not sure how to get hold of it now. I would imagine it is available in Japan.

Interestingly I have met one of the sensei who performed kendo for Tojo (at least I think it was Tojo) as his last request before he was executed. Jifuku Sensei is about 90 now. Had a dinner party with him in November last year. Quite an interesting fellow with some good stories.
                              you have an idea where we can find that documentary?....would be a nice upload on youtube.

Comment

Working...
                              X