Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the first video is of 'kiri-kaeshi' then it's not a good example. The cuts with the daito were not effective and likewise witgh the shoto.

The quite good ni-to people (Jp and Au) that I know all do kiri-kaeshi with one shinai.

Also the popular belief that scoring a yuko-datotsu with the shoto is not realistic.

Unless the ni-to payer is a skilled senior dan (6-8), then they simply wont have the technique nor ability to score by using the shoto.

The video may be out of context (as suggested above) and could be a quite good exercise to co-ordinate and teach some repetitive cutting action to a ni-to player though.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with shinpan who are completely ignorant on how to judge a shoto strike.

Comment

Originally posted by moocow65 View Post
        I think it has a lot to do with shinpan who are completely ignorant on how to judge a shoto strike.
        Well in their defense the rules on yuko datotsu aren't exactly clear on it either, so they can only do so much guesswork -it's better to refuse a point when you don't know what to do, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978 View Post
          The way you wrote it made it sound like you would be unlikely to score with the daito rather than the shoto.
          I have absolutely no idea why I keep typing Daito instead of Shoto :P

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far!

To be honest, I don't understand why scoring with the Shoto is so hard for people to accept or judge, why should it be be any different then anythin else?

Personally, I don't see it wrong to score an ippon with the Shoto as if the cut was done in the same way as any other cut with the Daito or normal shinai, if anything, maybe twice the power.

Comment

Originally posted by IronWarrior View Post
              Thanks for all the comments so far!

To be honest, I don't understand why scoring with the Shoto is so hard for people to accept or judge, why should it be be any different then anythin else?

Personally, I don't see it wrong to score an ippon with the Shoto as if the cut was done in the same way as any other cut with the Daito or normal shinai, if anything, maybe twice the power.
              In the Shinpan Tebiki Guide it discusses this topic. The reason that the shoto scoring is limited to the situation when you are also simultaneously controlling the daitoh is to keep the match relatively fair. If the shoto could score at will then the nito player would have a decided advantage.

Here is the English text from page 23;

(Example 6) Why is use of the Kotachi (small sword) so restricted in Nitō?

(Explanation) ① Nitō is allowed in order to preserve the culture and tradition of Kendō. Therefore restrictions are made regarding the use of Nitō for the sake of fairness and safety.

Comment

First, you register your account on this site followpluslike.com/. You can get Twitter follows for your website if you have coins in your account because on this site there is a bid system. You can earn coins by liking facebook pages, Twitters follows , website hits or by clicking the youtube videos added by others. So for twitters follows you can add site with your twitter account and bid. More you set your bid , there will be more follows for your site.

Comment

That does sound far easier than the normal conditions for shoto scoring.

Comment

Working...
                  X