An Introduction to Kendo by R.A. Lidstone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Introduction to Kendo by R.A. Lidstone

I have just received an original copy, 1964 First Edition. Bought it from a book antiquarian in London, the book was originally from a Libray.

Got a chance to glance through a few pages, very quaint as Phil said, and quite exciting to look at. I can't wait to read it

I would really appreciate if someone could share me some history on Mr Lidstone and any other details about the book.

This book will be lovingly cared for!

Bumping the topic to the top again

Anyone?

Comment

Kozo Takizawa

Originally posted by JCM View Post
      Bumping the topic to the top again

Anyone?
      I have the same book and never realized that it was so rare. Takizawa Sensei in the book has been in the Netherlands in the early 70's to spread the gospel of Kendo and at least have folks a chance to witness how real Kendo should look like. He stayed for about a month in Den Haag because that was then one of the few dojo's in the country. My Sensei (Suzuki Sensei) regards him as "his" Sensei. I believe Takizawa became a 9th dan. According to Suzuki Sensei he was also one the people involved with creating the Kendo no Kata. Furthermore he said that he was also one of the big wheels in Kendo Japan. I'll have to ask him what the story is here. In my book there's a picture of my Kenjutsu Sensei, (Willem Bekink, late Shidosha of the TSKSR) with Takizawa Sensei taken at a Kyoto Taikai in the 80's not long after that he passed away.

I like the way that people in the book are in awkward stances whilst wearing children bogu's. Makes you realise that in the old days it was hard to get bogu and other equipment. I have experienced the time that when you had to order stuff it had to be done by fax and transferring money through banks which costed a lot of money. If you ordered in Japanese you had a fair chance you would get what you wanted. Otherwise you got stuck what they sent you. Wrong size or not.

This is the main reason why I prefer to use koto shinai. I never knew there were other types because we always ordered the cheapest ones. They were usually the koto type.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering how why you say the bogu is for children in the book? Not second guessing you, just wondering if you know anything about old bamboo do?

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering how why you say the bogu is for children in the book? Not second guessing you, just wondering if you know anything about old bamboo do?

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X