X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book of Five Rings in Japanese

I've read the English translation and found it quite interesting but am now considering reading it in Japanese. Has anyone else read the original and if so how did they find it? I'm worried about any old Japanese expressions that may appear (no to mention kanji compounds!)
    And for those who have read both, what did you make of the English translation?
    Thank you.

Hi Sbres,

I think reading any Japanese book in its pure Japanese forum is a 100 times better than the translation if you have the skill to understand it well. My mother was just saying that it was strange for her to read a Japanese translated book. The rhythm is not the same as in English.

Can I ask how much Japanese you have read? I would expect Musashi to be upper intermediate level. But as with any book I am sure there are different versions, maybe even as with the English version by Wilson.

This illustrated one looks interesting http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...roduct-details

But I am already trying to read a Kendo book, Nito and comic .
    No harm in buying a cheap copy or even that one for the pictures.

Comment

AH, BTW I just found a long list for your to choose from. I wonder what business Gorin' is about lol.

http://i16.jp/j/jp/books-jp/ALPHAXB8DECED8A4CEBDF1.html

Comment

Does anybody have any opinions about which English translation is better?

Comment

[QUOTE=Musha]AH, BTW I just found a long list for your to choose from. I wonder what business Gorin' is about lol.

I have the tenth book on that list but the manga/picture version looks interesting so I might buy that instead. There's no point struggling with the original if there's a simpler version available.
          As for my Japanese reading level, it fluctuates daily...lol
          Last edited by Sbres; 2nd January 2004, 06:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

[QUOTE=Musha]AH, BTW I just found a long list for your to choose from. I wonder what business Gorin' is about lol.

I have the tenth book on that list but the manga/picture version looks interesting so I might buy that instead. There's no point struggling with the original if there's a simpler version available.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sbres]
              Originally posted by Musha
              AH, BTW I just found a long list for your to choose from. I wonder what business Gorin' is about lol.

The "original" Book of Five Rings would be written in a classical Japanese style unreadable to even most native Japanese speakers.
              Most Japanese language versions of the book are transcriptions of the original text into modern Japanese.

Comment

Can I ask how much Japanese you have read? I would expect Musashi to be upper intermediate level. But as with any book I am sure there are different versions, maybe even as with the English version by Wilson.
                Lol I think I was half asleep again typing that. I wanted to say 'Can I ask how much Japanese you can read? I would expect Musashi's Go rin no sho to be upper intermediate level. But as with any book I am sure there are different versions, maybe even as with the English version by Wilson some points to help you with things difficult to understand. ,

Please tell me what the illustrated version is like if you buy that one .

Comment

What is your opinion of the English version of Book Of Five Rings translated by Victor Harris? I bought this version of the book years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X