X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex, who's your agent?

Did anyone catch the History Channels most recent "Warriors" program? Lo and behold, there's our own Dr. Alex Bennett, helping the TV presenter navigate the mysteries of the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. First Anthony Bourdain, now it's Terry Schappert...

At least, they didn't tag him as being British this time!

Originally posted by Paikea View Post
    Did anyone catch the History Channels most recent "Warriors" program? Lo and behold, there's our own Dr. Alex Bennett, helping the TV presenter navigate the mysteries of the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. First Anthony Bourdain, now it's Terry Schappert...

Not British, but still speaks funny.

Comment

Why Ari Gold of course. Hug it out bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea View Post

With Ari on board, we'll soon see Alex on every game show and chat show in the land. The Kiwi Beat Takeshi!

b

Comment

Here's a link to an overview of "Samurai Showdown": http://www.history.com/video.do?name...id=19679187001

Comment

You fellows being slightly critical or just having fun (I threw the TV away, interfered with making time for Kendo ha ha...umm, really)?

Comment

Not critical at all, I thought the program was actually quite well done. At first, when Terry Schappert mentioned Mushashi, I thought it wasn't going anywhere (once Mushashi comes up, things tend to go south on American TV), but it was actually thoughtful and lacking in the typical hype.

In the end, Mr. Schappert gets a pair of bokutoh from Yoshimoti-sensei and I'm ever-so-slightly jealous...

Comment

Uh, I don't think I was being critical. Apologies if I came off that way.

Comment

We love to have a dig at Dr. A. I like to think it helps him to keep it real. But then, being an expat in Japan probably does that well enough...

But all joking aside, I would love to see that ep. Especially after reading Alex's rather inspiring blog entry on the making of it:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/blog.php?b=2

It sounds like, if the producers have any class, the best bit won't have made it into the show. If that's the case, I'm glad Alex was there to tell of it.

b

Comment

Alex looks a bit mafioso in that suit!

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
                      We love to have a dig at Dr. A. I like to think it helps him to keep it real. But then, being an expat in Japan probably does that well enough...

But all joking aside, I would love to see that ep. Especially after reading Alex's rather inspiring blog entry on the making of it:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/blog.php?b=2

It sounds like, if the producers have any class, the best bit won't have made it into the show. If that's the case, I'm glad Alex was there to tell of it.

b

That part wasn't in the episode, which seemed a bit lacking in focus, really.

Comment

b
                        No mate...Reality is a thing of the past.

I haven't actually seen the show yet, but Terry was a hell of a nice bloke.

I have since found out that there is a whole lot of political BS surrounding the Niten Ichi-ryu world, but that's budo for you. No escaping it, but let's not talk about it here.

Comment

The meaning in that moment of the program was pretty clear - even heavily edited. Alex got to witness something really special, I thought.

Comment

Here is a link on Youtube where Terry Schappert talks about the program and you get to see a few clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBuuvhiM5Y

Alex, you were on TV again late last night on NHK as part of the Japanology program and, according to my mother-in-law, in a dojo in England. I didn't see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wark 1978 View Post
                              Here is a link on Youtube where Terry Schappert talks about the program and you get to see a few clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBuuvhiM5Y

Alex, you were on TV again late last night on NHK as part of the Japanology program and, according to my mother-in-law, in a dojo in England. I didn't see it though.
                              Eh? Bloody hell...Why aren't I rich???

Comment

Working...
                              X