X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zatoichi's kenjutsu style

I recently saw the Zatoichi remake with 'Beat' Takeshi, and was wondering whether or not any kenjutsu styles resembled his (reversed grip, battoujutsu style attacks)
    Obviously, I know this is a work of fiction, I am just interested in the possibility of different sword styles.

oh well...the creator of Zatoichi must have been quite imaginative when thinking of his character's kenjutsu, I suppose....^_^

Comment

I've heard Zatoichi's ryu is completely fictional.

Comment

No, it is not fictional. There is a grand grand grand master named Rick Tew who teaches it with the bonus of ninja ryu, and everything including flying like a spiderman.

Comment

ZATOICHI-RYU does exist...

It is true that the Zatoichi style that was used by Shintaro Katsu is in fact a fictional style. However, I do teach a very real, and very similar system, that is in-fact called "Zatoichi-Ryu: Way of the Blind Swordsman". The style is based off the Shintaro style used in the films, with several, more fluid, alterations that make this a very worthwhile and tough to beat style.

The idea was to take what made the Zatoichi style so impressive and build on it to make it a true, invincible system. By incorporating more circular, non-linear, fluid movements, the ZATOICHI-RYU system brings about an advantage over traditional Kenjutsu. It is not only lightning fast, but very tough to read. My Zatoichi-Ryu style is even going to be featured in an upcoming Action Feature entitled; "DAREMO: Return to Steel" which is currently in pre-production.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG - Traditional Kenjutsu is my foundation and my love - I just wanted something different and have been a Zatoichi fan since I was a kid.

For more info, visit: www.ZATOICHI-RYU.com

Osu!

Sensei Robn Meeks, Founder
          Zatoichi-Ryu: Way of the Blind Swordsman

Comment

thats a joke right?

by the way calling yourself <sensei> makes not much sense...

its like if you were calling yourself senpai ...do you suffer from Schizophrenia ?
            Last edited by kendokamax; 16th February 2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

can someone please tell me its a joke?

Comment

what the..

Comment

What is this?

There is no way this man can be serious about what he is doing.

Richmond-san

Comment

"Robin is a 29 year Martial Artist and holds various black belts in the styles of: 3rd Dan Shudo-Ryu Okinawa-Te (Founder), 3rd Dan Kan Kai Ryu (Renshi Claude Bergeron), 4th Dan (Renshi) Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jutsu & Kenjutsu. He currently teaches "ATF: Addaptive Tactical Fighting" and "Zatoichi-Ryu: Way of the Blind Swordsman"

Comment

My heart sunk for a second when i read the guy's name "sensei robn"
                      because we have a guy named "robin" who is a sensei at etobicoke.....
                      but then i noticed the american flag, and finally the "robn meeks"

Comment

Good grief!

Please tell me it's not real.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by [Kensei 剣の聖者]
                          "Robin is a 29 year Martial Artist and holds various black belts in the styles of: 3rd Dan Shudo-Ryu Okinawa-Te (Founder), 3rd Dan Kan Kai Ryu (Renshi Claude Bergeron), 4th Dan (Renshi) Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jutsu & Kenjutsu. He currently teaches "ATF: Addaptive Tactical Fighting" and "Zatoichi-Ryu: Way of the Blind Swordsman"
                          Anyboby could read this at his online store, it isn't proof. There is no evidence to support his claims. Call me skeptical but this Robin fellow sounds a little sketchy, foul smelling if you will. Then again I could be completely mistaken. If I am apologies go out to where they are due.

Richmond-san

Comment

Originally posted by [Kensei 剣の聖者]
                            He is a 3rd dan in Shudo-ryu...a style that he founded??? How is he able to test? Who grades him? Daito ryu is Akido that also uses sword work....where did the kenjutsu comment come from? Loads of people have more ranks than this guy.... and did you say 29 years of experience? How old is he? 40? Even if he started when he was 2 years old.... you cannot actually consider that training to be countable.... kids play "kids karate" until they are about 18 or so. Anyone who has ever taught classes knows this difference.

Kan kai ryu= karate (I guess), Okinawa-te= karate. Daito-ryu is aikido with swords. So, with ranks in karate and aikido how can he create a style based on iaido and kendo? And why would he?

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Cypher
                              I am just interested in the possibility of different sword styles.
                              I have a very old Kendo/kenjutsu teacher , from Milaysia, (sp?) and sometimes he smiles at me when I think I got him once, and he switches to the Zatoichi style grip on the shinai.

When he does it I know he is teaching me something, but I always go into panic mode....

suddenly what I was useing a moment before and seemed to be working, is of little value now...LOL

I think that its a fun thing to do once in a while,

I have yet to really try it myself...But down the road I might..

Comment

Working...
                              X