Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translated Kendo Journals

hello kendo people -

i'm interested in reading more about kendo. I'm familiar with many of the english translations of the introductory books which cover ettiquette and basics, excercises and waza etc...

I know that in Japanese (which alas i cannot read) there is a plethora of books by sensei with titles like "1000 suburi: My journey in kendo" or similar titles. These books seem like journals, people reflecting on their lives in kendo. I'd love to read such a book, and I'm wondering if any of them are translated into English, and where I can get my grubby little hands on them.

any leads?

thanks - tyler

http://www.geocities.com/kendosuburi/ - at this site, there is a guy that is currently making a journal to do 1000 suburi per day for 1000 days. This is the only one that I could think of off the top of my head. If you do a forum search, you may find more information.

The bad news is that there is so little information as it is with Kendo in the English language. You will be hard pressed to find any books whatsoever in a book store. The martial arts section has a lot on Aikido and stuff, but no Kendo. I am just asking, but have you ever thought about making your own? It seems like an interesting concept that I would like to explore some more myself sometime in the future. Another idea is that you could learn the Japanese language, but that is a lot of committment for just reading one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tyler
      hello kendo people -

i'm interested in reading more about kendo.
      Are you a subscriber to the magazine? What did you think of Inoue sensei's book? And FJ Norman's book?

regards

Hamish

Comment

Originally posted by Anime12478
        http://www.geocities.com/kendosuburi/ - at this site, there is a guy that is currently making a journal to do 1000 suburi per day for 1000 days.
        This guy is weak. 87 days and he hasn't even managed 90,000 suburi yet. What about the primary school girl at http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sho...3765#post53765 ? Only took her a month!

...and I did 20-ish suburi yesterday so there!

I hope this guy gets his 4th dan next year. If you want to pass a grading that bad you should just bribe the judges.

Comment

they can make a soapie out of his journals..

"like suburis throughout a keiko, these are the days of his life"

but to be honest, i think 1000 a day is overdoing it. i mean, it's all well and good, but if he still doesn't become the best after the first 1000 days, will he continue doing the 1000 suburis per day? what will 1000 suburis per day achieve though, apart from conditioning yourself to take the punishment. before anyone starts flaming, i'm not paying the guy out. is the purpose just to achieve the milestone of 1000 per day for 1000 days? i'm simply asking whether his efforts will achieve breakthrough/s of significant proportions or not. i hope they will though

Comment

as the guys from the journal said/thought of it before, he thought that the 1000 suburi a day was some kind of magical bullet or remedy that will make him better instantly. he's also doing it to know what one of his senseis what trying to tell him. his sensei told him that "you will rich enlightenment if you do 1000 suburis in 1000 days.

~taganahan

Comment

Originally posted by taganahan
              as the guys from the journal said/thought of it before, he thought that the 1000 suburi a day was some kind of magical bullet or remedy that will make him better instantly. he's also doing it to know what one of his senseis what trying to tell him. his sensei told him that "you will rich enlightenment if you do 1000 suburis in 1000 days.

~taganahan
              kinda like snatching the pebble out of the master's hand then.

Comment

Originally posted by reg
                kinda like snatching the pebble out of the master's hand then.
                As an example take this forum.
                I am willing to bet my XF Ford Falcon Stationwagon that some of the people here have made a pact with Satan to do 10 posts a day for the rest of eternity. The result is a forum full of people constantly making inane posts after giving a sum total of 0.000001 milliseconds thought to what they are posting and spending 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 milliseconds actually reading the contents of the post immediately before theirs, and no time whatsoever reading any posts further back than that.
                (take my post for example. skewed off on a tangent. my soul is with the dark lord - explains my dislike of da'qota right?)

Now if the same attention was focused on each suburi as these ADD ridden gnats focus on their forum posts how could there seriously be any improvement in kendo even after 10,000,000 suburi?

But then again, when you are young why not?!
                I once made 1000 paper cranes and that was just for some chick. Don't think it taught me much except that when a girl asks you to make 1000 paper cranes, say no. No wish at the end. Didn't even work out with the girl. Maybe we are just forever trying to devise interesting ways to kill time.

Comment

The magazine is excellent.

Other good resources:

http://www.kendo-usa.org/reference.htm
                  Invaluable

http://www.halifaxkendo.org/Kendo_Reader.doc (This is a PDF, I think)
                  Kendo Reader by Noma Hisashi

http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~shimano/
                  Some of the best stuff about kendo I have ever read

http://www.duke.edu/~ky7/kendo.htm
                  Click on Book Synopsis and Journal

Comment

thanks to those who posted info. I had stumbled on that guy's suburi journal before and its an interesting read. When I said journal, I meant books of the sort that you can buy from E-bogu, most of which are in japanese. Notes on a lifetime of practice by famous sensei. I hadn't thought in terms of current online kendo journals, but I like that idea and i'm going to look for more of them. Charlie, thanks for the goldmine, Hamish, I'll look into the books you mentioned, i've not seen them yet.

thanks,

tyler

Comment

do you know the secret on how to snatch the pebble from the master?....i do! i do!...lol

~taganahan

Comment

i remember doing 1000 suburi every day for.. don't remember back 10 yrs ago. what i picked up kendo again this year.. i tried 500 a day to start off and almost got my shoulder screwed big time. hope that guy lasts 1000 days. i was told it the similar thing from one of the sensei long time ago. maybe i'll try it again once my body gets used to kendo again.

Comment

Working...
                        X