X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendo appearance in movie

Generally, I think the Highlander movies are silly, but for your own trivia, kendo makes an appearance in the third installment of that series. Don't know how many people have seen that movie.

I haven't seen that, thought now my curiosity is piqued.

I do have a very powerful memory of some action movie from the mid 80s that had a scene where a powerful business man was about to meet with someone as part of the story, and just before the meeting, they showed him in Bogu, finishing up with another kendoka, before heading to his meeting. I always thought that must be something really special.

In any case, I'd love to hear more cases where Kendo is featured in films.

Comment

There have been some threads on this. Do a search.
      I don't think anyone mentioned i Highlander III. I saw it when I was younger but the only thing I remember was them counting how many bullets they had recieved.

Comment

In Black Rain, you see a bunch of people practicing Kendo in the Osaka Police Department. It's a pretty cool movie.

Comment

Originally posted by dohrt
          I haven't seen that, thought now my curiosity is piqued.

I do have a very powerful memory of some action movie from the mid 80s that had a scene where a powerful business man was about to meet with someone as part of the story, and just before the meeting, they showed him in Bogu, finishing up with another kendoka, before heading to his meeting. I always thought that must be something really special.

Perhaps you saw the Highlander movie and don't recall seeing it--the scene you're describing is very close to the one in that movie:

"The Highlander" has to go off to a showdown "meeting" with the bad guy. Beforehand, a friend meets him at a dojo where he is just finishing up kendo practice. He then speeds off in his, if I remember, Porsche.

Comment

The Hunted, that chick in the red dress makes the movie, there is a great tub scene..........oh yeah there's a kendo scene too. lol

Comment

Originally posted by shotoblogger
              Generally, I think the Highlander movies are silly, but for your own trivia, kendo makes an appearance in the third installment of that series. Don't know how many people have seen that movie.
              I saw this Spanish movie years ago that starts with people playing kendo and after training the guy who was beating everyone up in training has sex with some lady in the shower. Any Spanish people out there know the one I'm talking about?

Comment

pre-emptive strike

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                I saw this Spanish movie years ago that starts with people playing kendo and after training the guy who was beating everyone up in training has sex with some lady in the shower. Any Spanish people out there know the one I'm talking about?
                I'm neither Spanish, nor know the movie. The following is simply the inevitable response to such a blatant set-up:

That wasn't a movie, mate. That was me at last training.

Sorry if i intercepted someone's catch.

Comment

Originally posted by tduffy
                  The Hunted.......... there's a kendo scene too
                  Which version is that? The recent one with Benicio del Toro?

Comment

I recently rented a japanese movie titled "taboo", horribly dubbed in French... so I am not sure if that's its exact title in English. Rented it without reading the back cover...

Great bokken fighting scenes of a few men hoping to join some kind of army squad.

Then, less exciting scenes (for me, anyway) of a guy having a blast f***ing another guy...

If you rent it for the pure kendo value, just watch the first 30 minutes...

Comment

The movie The Hunted that he was talking about was not the one that recently came out. I believe it was release a couple of years back. The guy that played the first Highlander movies also starred in this film.

Another movie that had kendo in it was one of the Old James Bond movies. It was only a short scene, but you could see someone in the back doing kirikaeshi and I think a short ji geiko.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_knight
                        Another movie that had kendo in it was one of the Old James Bond movies. It was only a short scene, but you could see someone in the back doing kirikaeshi and I think a short ji geiko.
                        Ah, yes! In fact, when Bond is in Rio in one film, he actually fights someone in kendo armor in a store with glass cases. Needless to say, the glass cases are smashed.

Comment

There seems to be a distinct lack of kendo in movies.
                          Did Tomb Raider have kendo in it? I remember reading on this forum that Angelina Jolie did kendo to train for the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                            I remember reading on this forum that Angelina Jolie did kendo to train for the movie.
                            That seems unlikely as she is not built to fit into do.

Comment

Originally posted by shotoblogger
                              That seems unlikely as she is not built to fit into do.
                              Mmmmm....airbags.....

Comment

Working...
                              X