Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Recommendations

Hi all!!!

I'm new to the forum and new to Kendo as well.

If anyone knows of any good Kendo Books - I would be especially interested in that. But post any book you've read (recently or otherwise) that you enjoyed and would like to recommend to others.

"Moving Toward Stillness", Dave Lowry - i think this is a 'how you should look at your art' book.

"Autumn Lightning", Dave Lowry - i really enjoyed the historical references in this one.

"Zen In The Martial Arts", Joe Hyams - short but I still thought it was good.

I'm new to Kendo as well. A dojo mate recommended 'Kendo: The Definitive Guide' which I picked up at my local bookstore.

I found the book a nice introduction to Kendo and it quickly made practice make more understandable. There is so much to Kendo and starting out is very overwhelming. This book will continue to help guide me along. Highly recommended.

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...232778-4715848
    Last edited by chindogu; 18th January 2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

'Complete Kendo' by John J. Donohue

It's an awesome book that talks about many of Kendo's techniques and philosophies, along with the history and developement of the art and its equipment. It is put together in the same way as The Book of Five Rings, making it easy to navigate through and understand.

Comment

The book 'Kendo: Elements, Rules, and Philosophy' by Jinichi Tokeshi is also a nice book for the beginner. It goes through the basics such reiho (ettiquite) and equipment care. They also talk about Shiai rules, waza, Kendo history and famous people within the sword arts community. One problem I have with it though is that there are drawings used instead of real pictures. While it does get the point across, the drawings are too basic to capture the subtleties of the demonstrations.

Comment

I agree!

About a year ago I was looking at getting started in Kendo. However, after a job change and some life events it was not to be. So I did the next best thing, read about it.

I have looked at 'Kendo: The Definitive Guide', and yes it is a good introduction to the fundamentals and basic skills. I found the diagrams relatively easy to understand even though I had never seen kendo performed at that time.

I am fortunate enough to have accesss to a public library that has a couple of copies. I believe that they also have "Complete Kendo" too.

The good news for me is that things have settled down, I now know more, I found a dojo in my area, I got the chance to observe some Kendo, and I have the ability to persue Kendo now.

Comment

"looking at a far mountain" by paul budden.a great book for those of you who like the kendo kata.

amazon link

Comment

I'm awaiting my copy of "Kendo: The Definitive Guide", but I've also read "This is Kendo", "The Heart of Kendo", "Go Rin No Sho", and I don't remember the other books I've read.

Comment

- A Book of Five Rings.
                - The Way of Kendo and Kenjitsu.
                - The Sword and the Mind.
                - The Unfettered Mind.
                - Secrets of the Samurai: a Survey of the Martial Arts of Fudal Japan.

If i think of any more I will post it. I was going to mention Hagakurae, but I found nothing useful besides philosiphys from it.

Comment

"But post any book you've read (recently or otherwise) that you enjoyed and would like to recommend to others."

Ender's Game

Not kendo related, but a damn good book.

Comment

hagakure is a good book period.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I will definitely take the time to look at all those mentioned.

There is so much to Kendo and starting out is very overwhelming.
                      I agree with that.

Comment

Dojo, le temple du sabre by Pierre Delorme

It's the story of Pierre Delorme who spent 18 months in Okada Morihiro Sensei's dojo. A really great book and very funny too. Yes it's in French but 90% of the books I read are in English so it's only fair

And yes, Looking at a far mountain is really nice.

Comment

Nice Question!!

Hello Sir welcome!!

I am also a beginner, but I have been doing my research, and I love to read!
                          Please find the following books to your liking.

I can recommend the following literature....

The book of the 5 rings- written by a samurai 300ish years ago(he never lost)
                          Hagakure - written by a samurai 300 or so years ago (He never fought)
                          Looking at a far mountain - kendo kata
                          Samuri legends - A comprehensive, well researched book, it explores the aspects and historic stories associated with the samurai
                          Japanese castles
                          And I hear the art of war is worth a read !

2005 combos

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
                            "But post any book you've read (recently or otherwise) that you enjoyed and would like to recommend to others."

Ender's Game

Not kendo related, but a damn good book.
                            Hear! Hear! I really did like that book.

Comment

I heard that Far Mountain was good but have yet to read it myself.. I just finished "Kendo and Kenjitsu: The Soul of the Samurai by Darrell Max Craig. Good read but a little on the advanced side. Chapters on the short sword forms and sword collecting as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X