X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo Books

Does anyone know of a good kendo book with lots of info/pics on various waza etc and kata?

Thanks

Commander

"Kendo The definitive guide" by Hiroshi Ozawa is pretty helpful. It has a lot of drawings (not real pictures) or waza and kata. I'm sure there are a lot of others, but this one is the best I've seen so far. (I haven't actually seen many though).
    Last edited by Kirsty; 10th May 2005, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirsty
      "Kendo The definitive guide" by Hiroshi Ozawa is pretty helpful. It has a lot of drawings (not real pictures) or waza and kata.
      I'll agree with this assessment. Ozawa's book is one of the better ones I've seen. I got another book last year, but I can't remember the title (big help, I know); I think it's either written by someone from Hawaii, or published by University of Hawaii (in other words, some connection to the Islands). It's pretty good, but I like Ozawa's book better.

Comment

I also have a book called "The Heart of Kendo" by Darrel Max Craig. Its good too, but not as easy to understand. It does have a few interesting stories about the author's experience in kendo and interviews with his sensei...but not as much waza or anything. So I still say the first book RC_Kenshi and I recommended is the best one I know of. um....even though I don't know of that many.... ^_^;

Comment

Does the definative guide have kata in it?

What else does it have?

Comment

As you're in the UK you may be able to get your hands on "Fundamental Kendo", the BKA did a reprint of it. It's an english translation of a ZNKR publication and very good.

The standard book is "This is Kendo", it was published about 40 years ago but it's still a worthwhile book.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander

What else does it have?
              Yeah it has kata. It also has waza, keiko, etc.

Comment

What else does it have?
                Hi Commander-San...

As a general guide, 'Kendo: The Definitive Guide' is hard to beat... It's an excellent book - one of the best Martial Arts books I have seen (comes in a close second to 'Aikido and the Dynamic Spheres' which is a real beauty !)you can pick it up for around 13 - 16 on Amazon.co.uk... They've got a new copy from Superbookdeals for 12.87 as we speak... whereas the Amazon price is just over 16...

For Kata specifically, the best book is 'Looking at a Far Mountain: A Study of Kendo Kata' by Sensei Paul Budden. I recently went to a Kata Seminar that was led by Sensei Budden at Kodokan in Rickmansworth... It was absolutely excellent... If you get a chance to train with him don't miss it!!!

This is available on Amazon.co.uk for between 7 and 9...

If you bought both from Amazon at the Amazon price (Total 25.92) then you would get free shipping...

Cheers
                Last edited by crabbi; 10th May 2005, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                  As you're in the UK you may be able to get your hands on "Fundamental Kendo", the BKA did a reprint of it. It's an english translation of a ZNKR publication and very good.
                  That has been out of print for a decade (or something like that)...

Jakob

Comment

Is there alot of reading in the definative guide and looking at a far mountain?

Comment

...for a short report on the Kodokan Kata Seminar take a look here : http://www.kendo.org.uk/newsevents/s...tareport.shtml

In the photo, the chap at the back on the far right (with a beard) is me...!

Funny how the camera only made me look fat... the other seem in fine fettle!!!

Cheers

Comment

The definitive guide mostly has pictures and explanations to each picture. You could probably figure out what the pictures were demonstrating without even reading anything.

Comment

Is there alot of reading in the definative guide and looking at a far mountain?
                          Loads of piccies in both... the Definitive guide has great drawings and the Far Mountain has great photos... I recommend both...

cheers

Comment

Also check out this link: http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/product...D=156&CatID=43

Neill-San is this the 2 volume re-print of the ZNKR Fundamental Kendo book you were talking about?

This is 18 whereas a secondhand copy of the original on Amazon.co.uk is around 170 !!!

Cheers
                            Last edited by crabbi; 10th May 2005, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Definitive Guide and Far Mountain

These two books are essential. But note that "Looking at a Far Mountain" is about kata, and it is the overall best english language book on kata that I have found. Far Mountain, and a DVD/VHS can help you a lot with the basics of kata.

Comment

Working...
                              X