X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendo in movies

i was watching mad max last night and relized that towards the begining of the movie one of the head honchos was in bogu and was holding a shinai. even though it was breef it caught my attention and i was wondering how many other main stream movies kendo was in. please list the movies taht you know

Originally posted by mononokifool
    i was watching mad max last night and relized that towards the begining of the movie one of the head honchos was in bogu and was holding a shinai. even though it was breef it caught my attention and i was wondering how many other main stream movies kendo was in. please list the movies taht you know
    Which Mad Max movie?
    As I said in another thread Star Wars Attack of the Clones has people from Sydney Kendo Club in it.

Comment

there were shinais in the scorpean king

Comment

They're great for kendo practice, but shinai's are the lamest weapon. Like that ad with David Beckham - waving a shinai around just doesn't look tough.

Comment

Originally posted by mononokifool
          My barbaric girlfriend (Korean Romance movie)
          - the dojo they used in the movie was actually featured in Kendo Nippon...I wonder if the two people in the background were Korean Team members.

You only live twice (James Bond movie)

Comment

Kendo in movies

Moonraker (also a Bond flick) has the villian's henchman attacking Bond in a Venetian Crystal Factory dressed in bogu and using a shinai.

Comment

In Kung Pow one of the evil guys near the beginning wears bogu and is armed with a wall hanger katana.

Shinai are a common sight on Mexican telly, on every sunday morning channel 9 has a large block dedicated to Lucha Libre (wrestling) and it is not unusual for one of the wrestlers to grab a shinai (from the crowd or from some unspecified point off camera) and to sart whackin on the other guy for a while. However in an amazing display of research the shinai do NOT have the red strings still attached. They are however, known not as shinai, but rather as Kendos.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                They're great for kendo practice, but shinai's are the lamest weapon. Like that ad with David Beckham - waving a shinai around just doesn't look tough.
                On the other hand...the simple folding chair is the geatest weapon of the 21st cent. Ask any respectable triad in Mongkok(HK)...you can destroy ppl with it and walk down the street with it and the cops can't nab you. Wanna see how effective it is? Watch "The God of Cookery" with Stephen Chow...

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                  On the other hand...the simple folding chair is the geatest weapon of the 21st cent. Ask any respectable triad in Mongkok(HK)...you can destroy ppl with it and walk down the street with it and the cops can't nab you. Wanna see how effective it is? Watch "The God of Cookery" with Stephen Chow...
                  lol! funny but true. I tink i should try em

Comment

On the other hand...the simple folding chair is the geatest weapon of the 21st cent. Ask any respectable triad in Mongkok(HK)...you can destroy ppl with it and walk down the street with it and the cops can't nab you.
                    Plus you can take time out to sit down, relax and admire your own handy work once the job is done.

Comment

Ah, Stephen Chow! He's responsible for much of my laughter in the past decade, funny man he is

Not so mainstream movie would be Volcano High (Korea). Red Kendo gear...

Comment

Let's not forget that pinnacle (cough) of movies - the first 'Punisher' movie. It was made in NSW years ago and featured most of the then NSW Kendoka.

There was a James Bond movie where he went to Japan and was attacked by a guy with a brand new fatboy shinai ... and no armour. The attacker had a really bad looking cutting action - his arms weren't extended at all. I can't remember if that was one of the James Bond movies that has already been mentioned. I forget their names...

Catherine

Comment

Kendo in movies?

Hmnnnn...lesseeeee

The Hunted
                          Black Rain
                          All About Lily Chou-Chou
                          Gohatto
                          My barbaric girlfriend/my Sassy Girl
                          etc

Comment

I borrowed and old Stephen Speilberg movie made in 1986/87 called Empire Of the Sun which introduced Christian Bale- (A.K.A. Batman Begins/American Psycho) I`m sure you have heard of him.
                            I recall seeing this film years ago, and having watched it again was suprised at how good a film it was, aswell as Bale`s performance at such a young age. He must have been about 10 years old.
                            Anyway... while watching a scene, for a brief second in a sweeping shot you see some Japanese Soldiers doing keiko in the background.
                            Definitely an interesting film, worth the watch, see if you can spot the scene I`m talking about.
                            Good get? What do you reckon? Like to hear feedback, and of any other films where Kendo makes an appearence.
                            See if you can spot any other actors. You`ll be suprised!
                            Last edited by Seiza_Seizure; 22nd June 2005, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seiza_Seizure
                              I borrowed and old Stephen Speilberg movie made in 1986/87 called Empire Of the Sun which introduced Christian Bale- (A.K.A. Batman Begins/American Psycho) I`m sure you have heard of him.
                              I recall seeing this film years ago, and having watched it again was suprised at how good a film it was, aswell as Bale`s performance at such a young age. He must have been about 10 years old.
                              Anyway... while watching a scene, for a brief second in a sweeping shot you see some Japanese Soldiers doing keiko in the background.
                              Definitely an interesting film, worth the watch, see if you can spot the scene I`m talking about.
                              Good get? What do you reckon? Like to hear feedback, and of any other films where Kendo makes an appearence.
                              See if you can spot any other actors. You`ll be suprised!
                              In the novel young Jim (I think that's right) practices with some of the guards but the doctor at the prison camp is horrified because of the risk of TB from a borrowed men.

Comment

Working...
                              X