X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any good books?

Hi everyone, do you know of a good kendo/samurai orientated book that i could find?

Something that has a story of someone's past or something lol

Thanks

The book of five rings by Myimoto Musashi. No story, just good ol strategy. Read it if you want to boost your sword skills.

Comment

The Life-Giving Sword by Yagyu Munenori (don't ask me who translated it though)

Comment

The book of five rings, is a good read. Not too many martial arts books out there will tell you to test your new sword on a cadaver, or prisoner!

Also read "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's about Myimoto Musashi, and his life adventers. It's part fact, part myth, and a great read. There is also a movie trilogy based on it. Musashi played by nonother than Toshiro Mifune. My local Hollywood Video has it.

Comment

Which book is the best read?

Comment

Forget the book of five rings, its not a good read. Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa or the Shambala book about Yamaoka Tesshu, (The Sword of No-Sword) THAT was a good read, a lot shorter than Musashi, and factual.

Comment

I second Hamish! Sword of no sword is very good read.

Comment

and i will 3rd hamish.

Comment

Thanks for the imput guys

Comment

Just wondering which of either Musashi or The Sword of No-Sword is better?

P.S theres another author of Musashi called William Scott Wilson, would it be best to stick with your author?

Comment

I've not familiar with the other version. Eiji's is well known, and well repected. I'd personally stick with a Japanese author for a story about a Japanese folk legend. Just as I'd stick with an American auther about George Washington, and a Canadian author about William Shatner. As far as which book is the best, I haven't read "Sword of No Mind", but I will now based on their suggestions. Though book of Five Rings, isn't an exciting read, it's more a martial arts text book for two sword fighting, I really got a lot of life lessons out of it. You have to look beyond the basics of the fighting technique and see how it could apply to your life. Hope this helps.

Comment

Correction: I said Sword of No Mind... it should have read Sword of No Sword. editors note

Comment

I just started reading "The Life Giving Sword", by Yagyu Munenori. Translated by William Scott Wilson.

Great Book.

Comment

Working...
                          X