X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shinai maintenance.

if there is one thing that i really don't care for in kendo, that has to be sinai maintenance. spent whole night working on three shinai. sanding them, scraping them, oiling them, putting them back togather, and getting splinters in my fingers while checking for.. splinters. i don't care for carbon shinai, but i can see why some people love them.

pete

I LOVE shinai mainteanance, just give me a reson to strip down my bad boys and sort them out.... it feels much better to fight with my own shinai's that i know intimately than with another.

Comment

I have the "good fortune" of fixing my shinai and my sensei's as well. That wouldn't be too bad except that I end up disassembling and sorting out the shinai for other people as well when I do surprise inspections. I usually tell them to look as I take them apart so that they can do it next time. Some people actually have gotten pretty good. Others, I am thinking of banning from practice till they fix their shinai.

There are some truly amazing things you discover when you take other people's shinai apart. One guy had about three iron washers on the bottom of the shinai to shift the balance. He doesn't compete so it could be all right. Ended up giving him a dobari for his birthday....

Comment

Originally posted by cesarekim
        I have the "good fortune" of fixing my shinai and my sensei's as well. That wouldn't be too bad except that I end up disassembling and sorting out the shinai for other people as well when I do surprise inspections. I usually tell them to look as I take them apart so that they can do it next time. Some people actually have gotten pretty good. Others, I am thinking of banning from practice till they fix their shinai.

There are some truly amazing things you discover when you take other people's shinai apart. One guy had about three iron washers on the bottom of the shinai to shift the balance. He doesn't compete so it could be all right. Ended up giving him a dobari for his birthday....
        your sensei must trust you very much. i wouldn't let anyone do anything to my shinai unless it's a beginner just borrowing it to do suburi, and hitting other shinai. the idea of someone not getting it just right.. too many things can go wrong.

amazing.. never thought about adding weight to the bottom of the tsuka.

pete

Comment

Sometimes I like to do it and sometimes I hate it. Well, I dont hate it but Im just sometimes too lazy to do anything. Ive been thinking of buying carbon shinai so I wouldnt always have to take care of my bamboo shinais.

Comment

It's not so fun when you do it alone, but if you have a "shinai maintenence" party, it can be pretty fun

Comment

yes, but by far the hardest kendo match, is me vs tsukigawa

Comment

you know, i oil my shinai with my bare fingers. imagine how i feel! hahahahaha, j/k. yeah i have to admit it gets pretty "time consuming" and annoying at times, but just like how you would rip off your bogu after a hard keiko, you still have to sit in seiza and then take off everything in the exact opposite order that you put them on. It's all part of the etiquette. Kinda teaches you patience, i guess.

Comment

Working...
                X