Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immensely Cool Idea !

Hi folks,

Just recently picked up this new gadget. Check it out. It's a "mini" suburito, made especially for practicing suburi indoors, in places with low ceilings! 8-slats, unlike the regular 6-slat suburito. Weight is slightly heavier than a normal shinai, a bit over 600g. Why didn't anyone think of this before???

Actually I built one of these specifically to practice indoors. I took a normal shinai handle, and found 4 broken slats to make the original shinai. I cut the slats in half with a bandsaw and fixed them into the handle with a solid steel bar going through the middle. It works in almost any room with 2 feet clearance overhead, and weighs slightly more than my joudan shinai, and works well, otherwise.

Comment

oh wow.

Where did you get this at??
      I live in a dorm room, and I am currently stuck doing no footwork, and just doing subari in seiza.

I would definatly consider buying one of these being stuck in my surroundings.

Comment

Hey midnightdawn-

I got the suburito at the 51st All-Japan Kendo Championships this past week. Some small budo shop was distributing leaflets about this nifty gadget, their latest flagship product. I don't know the name of the manufacturer; it's certainly not one of the "big-name" budo shops.

They supposedly have a web site at www.furisen.com but for some reason it's password protected...

I guess you can go with Eldritch's advice (above) and construct one yourself. Or, as a friend of mine once suggested - take a wine bottle and fill it up with sand.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by olaf
          Hey midnightdawn-

I guess you can go with Eldritch's advice (above) and construct one yourself. Or, as a friend of mine once suggested - take a wine bottle and fill it up with sand.

Have fun!
          Isn't that quite dangerous. If the wine bottle break, you friend can get

a lot of seriour injuries. I don't think that sand in the wine bottle is a

good idea at all. It might be cheap, but not worth the risk.

Comment

AP -

I don't think my friend meant for you to actually strike at a target using the sand-filled bottle. Only to swing it lightly practicing suburi. That should be ok, provided that the sand is secured inside the bottle, and the bottle is sturdy.

Likewise, the mini-suburito wasn't made for target practice either. It's just to help you practice the arm motions.

Plus, I think there are subtle ways in which your wrists, etc. handle a suburito differ from the way they ought to handle a shinai. So, again, the tool is merely for you to improve arm strength, swing posture, etc...it's not a substitute for kendo practice!

Comment

You also can do it with a champagne bottle, becose the glass is stronger!

Comment

I just remember kendoshop have this Wrist traing tool, it's a bite heavy but it'll do it.

Comment

AP -

I don't think my friend meant for you to actually strike at a target using the sand-filled bottle. Only to swing it lightly practicing suburi. That should be ok, provided that the sand is secured inside the bottle, and the bottle is sturdy.
                  Plus the bottle could be wrapped in duct tape for a bit of extra safety just in case the glass does break.

Comment

One more thing...

IMHO that mini-suburito is a damn good idea, I'd be interested in picking one up myself. At the moment the only practise I can do at home is footwork on the kitchen floor
                    Last edited by Vyper; 9th December 2003, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Great! Now you can worsen the repetitive strain injury at home!

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                        Great! Now you can worsen the repetitive strain injury at home!
                        Mez tinkz datz Yowaiz repetitive strain injury he gotz iz du-2 something elz hez doingz 2 himselz at homez...

Comment

Originally posted by ALI G
                          Mez tinkz datz Yowaiz repetitive strain injury he gotz iz du-2 something elz hez doingz 2 himselz at homez...
                          Way to go Ali G!!!

Comment

Hi folks,

Just recently picked up this new gadget. Check it out. It's a "mini" suburito, made especially for practicing suburi indoors, in places with low ceilings!
                            Believe it or not I already built one from old shinais for my kids. When I bought my bogu some months ago the kids were like crazy to hit me with the shinai but an ordinary shinai was too long and too heavy for them. They are just 3 and 4 years old.

So, I took a saw and shortened it. That's all. Takes you about 15 minutes.

Don't know if the center of gravity is at the right place but should be easy to put some weight in at the right places to fix that issue.

Comment

How much is it and where can you buy it?

Comment

Working...
                              X