Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Shinai

Hey Everyone,

I just started Kendo about a month and a half ago. Going great

However, I just noticed last week that my Shinai is bent at the tip, starting just before the Nakayui. It's not a signifigant bend, but it is noticable. Taking it apart, i can see the bend in all four slats.

Has anyone else had this problem or is this normal? What could be the cause? hitting too hard?? any suggestions on how to correct it?

Thnx,

i'm not quite sure i understand what you're saying..

but my guess is that it sounds like the bamboo is just very poor quality.
    i can't imagine why any company would even sell a bent a shinai (or allowed one to be shipped out)..

sounds inherently dangerous, too.

Comment

I guess it is a bit vague... Here's a terrible pic which might make it clearer. (don't laugh) It's even less bent than this but you can definitely notice it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes shinai which have been stored a long time with a tight tsuru (the string) will take a set. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Galithralad
          I guess it is a bit vague... Here's a terrible pic which might make it clearer. (don't laugh) It's even less bent than this but you can definitely notice it.
          Sorry, You said don't laugh but I hardly hold myself when I saw the picture. You probably had a bad quality shinai or one of a special. Just like our tools, they are not the same shape at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Galithralad
            Mannnnn, if it bent like that I would just go and get a new one, but of couse

not without asking the opinion of my sensei first......

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

haha.. (i agree)..
              that's some dobari on yer shinai there... if i didn't know better, i'd say it looks like it's ready for naginata class..

i'd toss it and get a new one..
              and i agree with neil .. his suggestion of what might have caused it sounds very feasible..

Comment

Kinda off topic but... yesterday, at the Ontario Senior Kendo Championships this somebody's shinai literally cracked in half during the match... It was interesting... I wish I got a picture of it...

Comment

at the u.s. nationals in 1999 in cleveland, ohio, i saw a guy check his opponent turned his shinai into a palm tree.

a very strange sound when it happened, too.

Comment

turned it into a palm tree?

eh?

Comment

Originally posted by isi
                      turned it into a palm tree?

eh?
                      I imagine hit it dead center on the tip and split it straight down the middle, splitting the staves out in separate directions like the fronds of a palm tree

Comment

thanks, fantasia... you're exactly right... i didn't know how else to say it.. haha.. didn't think anyone would understand that a shinai turned into a 'snuffy smith rifle', so i went with the palm tree...

i've also seen a tsuki that ... ummmm... kinda hard to explain this although I'm sure others have seen it... it pushed the kensen directly backwards and caused the shinai to basically "puff out" right in the middle.. that made an awfully queer sound as well...

tsuki sometimes causes shinai to break in the most unusual and impressive ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia
                          I imagine hit it dead center on the tip and split it straight down the middle, splitting the staves out in separate directions like the fronds of a palm tree

Did this happen as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                            May I be the first to say that that is gross.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
                              May I be the first to say that that is gross.
                              That's got to hurt... And I can't believe how gross it is.

Goddd Dammmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X