X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved Shinai

Hi all, I wanted some of your thoughts on curved Shinai, and what the advantages and disadvantages are with them. I understand that they do not meet regulations.

The ha-bu of a naginata these are curved but a shinai is not.
    anyways here are two "shinai" that i have seen that are curved.

what are your thoughts on these? the second one seems similar to the ha-bu construction and the first is like a regular shinai. thanks all

Cutlery? That's a... strange way of putting it.

Comment

one of my sempai have the owari shinai, sometimes he using in ji-keiko but i never was very interesting in it, i didn't ask for pro and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by sobasan7 View Post

I have never seen anything like this... I especially like the way he holds the shinai/sword/cutlery thingy.

Doesn't United Cutlery makes all those cheap, ugly, dangerous stainless wallhangers? Stay away from them.
        Last edited by sirius1906; 3rd July 2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius1906 View Post
          I have never seen anything like this... I especially like the way he holds the shinai/sword/cutlery thingy.

Doesn't United Cutlery makes all those cheap, ugly, dangerous stainless wallhangers? Stay away from them.
          you are correct sir, they manufacture display swords.

Comment

I cant see the point of the curved shinai IN KENDO , anyway there was already a thrad of this

Comment

I personally would like to use one. But I would also like to know if its a good one to use as it would make you stick out. Its shorter than the usual ones being used with adults but from what Ive read, it can help you with the distance, and help you land some shots that are good.

Comment

A person at one of the dojos I practice at uses one of the Owari type. Not sure how he likes it but I was not impressed by the feel of it personally. I suppose this may be one of those 'some like it, some don't' sort of things. I don't really see a need for it from my perspective as it is not going ot be used in shinsa or taikai so I don't see a use for it in practice.

Comment

I believe that they are quite heavy, and also as they don't have much flex in them they are pretty solid to be hit with. However the person I know that uses one occasionally, likes it sometimes for practicing things like suriyage waza, as it has quite a different feel to a long straight shinai.

I think they are a bit of a gimmick really.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikatsu View Post
                    I personally would like to use one. But I would also like to know if its a good one to use as it would make you stick out. Its shorter than the usual ones being used with adults but from what Ive read, it can help you with the distance, and help you land some shots that are good.
                    Far too early for you to start thinking about using anything other than regular shinai. Get a few years in and then start experimenting with other types of shinai because when you start out you will not be able to notice any difference.

Comment

I think the curved shinai is kind of useless, but it's a personal preference. If I want to get a more realistic feel (or correct my distance) maybe I'd practice a bit of suburi or something with a bokken. But normal shinai are all that's necessary, and I don't have money for flashy things.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinKenshi View Post
                        Far too early for you to start thinking about using anything other than regular shinai. Get a few years in and then start experimenting with other types of shinai because when you start out you will not be able to notice any difference.
                        Im not saying Im not going to use a regular. I like the way this one is. Realistic but again, you'd stick out like a sore thumb. I know starting out I need to get the basics in and then start trying out new things. I was just looking around and seen this. I thought it was cool and I would use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikatsu View Post
                          Im not saying Im not going to use a regular. I like the way this one is. Realistic but again, you'd stick out like a sore thumb. I know starting out I need to get the basics in and then start trying out new things. I was just looking around and seen this. I thought it was cool and I would use it.
                          All well and good but your time would be better spent in other ways. You will be spending the next 10 years getting just competent with the basics and after that, then start wondering about whether or not using a curved shinai would be usefull for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X