X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The story of murph's shinnai

Erm. I bought a shinai, never taken kendo, never even seen one before. Friend kept insiting i should.

Spent three days drooling over it.

Removed the shipping ties.

Spent a week playing with it, learned a decent grip offa the internet, battled trees for hours on end, left it out in the cold one night, bruised myself many, many times while fighting imaginary foes..

Read about maitinance, noticed how dry mine looked.
    Took it apart, and..

The four piece of bamboo come together to ONE piece at the handle?

Nope.. just glued... (figured that out while writing this)

Seperated, sanded, oiled w/ canola oil by hand, letting dry somewhat.

Erm..
    Assuming i'm likely to not recieve kendo triaing from anyone in real life for a while, any good, simple practices that can be learned online? or just fun stuffs to do? I dunno why i posted this anymore, was orgionally going to ask about their only being one piece of bamboo. But i got that one figured out.

-Murph!

Originally posted by Murph
    Erm. I bought a shinai, never taken kendo, never even seen one before. Friend kept insiting i should.

Spent three days drooling over it.

Removed the shipping ties.

Spent a week playing with it, learned a decent grip offa the internet, battled trees for hours on end, left it out in the cold one night, bruised myself many, many times while fighting imaginary foes..

Read about maitinance, noticed how dry mine looked.
    Took it apart, and..

The four piece of bamboo come together to ONE piece at the handle?

Nope.. just glued... (figured that out while writing this)

Seperated, sanded, oiled w/ canola oil by hand, letting dry somewhat.

Erm..
    Assuming i'm likely to not recieve kendo triaing from anyone in real life for a while, any good, simple practices that can be learned online? or just fun stuffs to do? I dunno why i posted this anymore, was orgionally going to ask about their only being one piece of bamboo. But i got that one figured out.

-Murph!
    Hi Murph,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry about your shinai... Anyway... No, it isn't possible to learn anything correctly without proper instruction. If you want to learn, you need to find a dojo. Where are you located? Can we help you? If we know your location, we can help you find a dojo.

By the way, shinai aren't supposed to be used to hit trees. Just so you know... You don't want to break it or splinter it. You will find in a dojo, that you won't actually hit really hard. You don't want to hurt your opponent. Although, I've read about people who do hit too hard, and that is frowned upon. I'm not in bogu(armor) yet, so I can't say anything about that personally, but I have read about it on this forum.

Oh, and get a proper shinai bag and never leave it outside... the poor thing!

Anyway, tell us your location, and we can help, ok?

Kaoru

Comment

hehe, thanks! :-D

I'm learning to take better care of it, don't worry. It's just been sanded nicely and oiled (by hand, nothing to soak it in ), and now i'm letting it sit for a while before the leather goes back on.

I know it's impossible to actually learn anything online, but i was hoping for a start!

Currently, i just don't really have time for a dojo, but i've got a friend who (supposedly - i'm not one to judge) knows it all very well, and will give me some tips.

I know it's not for trees, but they're all i had. And i didn't hit *them* too hard.

I've found that my bed is quite fun to beat up on too.. lol

I gave my younger brother (thirteen) my shinai, and he was unable to hurt me w/ it, trying his hardest. which is nice (i don't break easily..)

Shinai bag? There's an idea. I mostly carry it in my pants pocket, though perhaps i'll find a bag.

I'm in rochester, new york, but - as i said, right now isn't a good time for finding a dojo.

-murph!

PS - Do people name shinais? I should.

Comment

Oh!

Before i oiled my shinai, if you took it all apart, the staves would rest in the perfect shinai shape, even w/o the little metal thinger. (I promise to learn the cool words for everything soon!) Now, all the staves bent a little more from the oil, and they have to be held in that shape. Is this normal?
        Thanks!
        -Murph

Comment

hehe, thanks! :-D

I'm learning to take better care of it, don't worry. It's just been sanded nicely and oiled (by hand, nothing to soak it in ), and now i'm letting it sit for a while before the leather goes back on.

I know it's impossible to actually learn anything online, but i was hoping for a start!

Currently, i just don't really have time for a dojo, but i've got a friend who (supposedly - i'm not one to judge) knows it all very well, and will give me some tips.

I know it's not for trees, but they're all i had. And i didn't hit *them* too hard.

I've found that my bed is quite fun to beat up on too.. lol

I gave my younger brother (thirteen) my shinai, and he was unable to hurt me w/ it, trying his hardest. which is nice (i don't break easily..)

Shinai bag? There's an idea. I mostly carry it in my pants pocket, though perhaps i'll find a bag.

I'm in rochester, new york, but - as i said, right now isn't a good time for finding a dojo.

-murph!

PS - Do people name shinais? I should.
          Hi Murph,

Please... you must train properly! Hitting things isn't kendo. Heck, when I practice, I am not hitting anything. There is no need to. I practice proper men, kote, and do cuts by myself, and practice proper footwork. I do suburi to practice good technique too. Randomly hitting things isn't kendo, and won't help you. Is your friend training in a proper Kendo dojo? If not, do not ask him for any help. And I have to know... How in the world does a person carry a shinai in their back pocket?? Please enlighten me. I am really curious! No offense... I just am dying to know!

By the way, on a more serious note, it's disrespectful to the shinai(sword) to carry it in such a way. Yes, get a bag for it, ok? I never thought of naming my shinai... I suppose one could. I don't really know.

Look. Time? Well, even if you don't have time to go to practice a lot, once or even twice a month is better than nothing, to train in a dojo. I go twice a month because that is all my Mom is able to drive me... It's a very long drive one way, and takes all day. But, I am happy with the time I do get. At least I get to do Kendo. I'd dearly love to practice every week, several times, but that isn't possible. So, that's just how it is... twice a month for me. Now, I am going to hunt doen dojos for you... back in a few minutes...

Ok, I'm back. Here they all are: I am not sure how far Rochester is from anything, so I just put them all. If you have to drive an hour or two, that's normal. I do. My dojo is 2 hours and 20 minutes from my house, one way.

AEUSKF
          Buffalo Kendo Club
          6049 Transit Road
          Depew, NY
          Tuesday 6:30~8:30pm
          Saturday 9:00~11:00am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AEUSKF
          Isshin Kendo North Country
          St. Lawrence University
          Newell Field House
          Fitness Center
          Wedesday: 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm
          Sunday 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
          (315)386-2319
          315-386-7035 (W)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AEUSKF
          Ken Zen Institute

http://www.kenzendojo.com/

54 Thomas St.
          New York, NY. 10013
          Kendo Tu. Th. & Sat. 7:00-9:00pm Su 12:30-2:30pm
          Instructor: Daniel T. Ebihara Sensei 7Dan Kyoshi
          Iaido Wed 6:00pm-8:00pm Sa 4:00pm-6:00pm
          Instructor: Thomas Hooper, Renshi 6 Dan
          KenZenInst@aol.com

AEUSKF
          Ken Zen Dojo of Long Island
          1256 Waverly Ave.
          Farmingville, NY
          M 6:30pm-7:30pm W 7:30pm-9:00pm Sa 11:00am-12:30pm

AEUSKF
          KongoKan Dojo
          735 Port Washington Rd.
          Port Washington, NY
          M F 8:30-10pm Sa 9:00-11:00am

AEUSKF
          Meitokukan Kendo and Iaido Club
          Myers Dance Studio
          440 State Street, 3rd floor
          Schenectady, NY 12305
          Iaido: Sunday 9-11:45am, Tuesday 3-4:45pm, Wednesday 10-11:30am
          Kendo: Sunday 12-2pm (beginners), 2-4pm (regular practice)

AEUSKF
          New York City Kendo Club
          Jan Hus Church 212-874-6161
          351 E. 74th St.
          New York, NY
          Tu Th 6:30PM, Sa 2:30PM

AEUSKF
          NY Il Kum Kwan
          Flushing, NY
          Yushinkan
          Marymount College
          100 Marymount Way
          Tarrytown, NY
          Sa 3:00pm

EUSKF
          Japanese Swordsmanship Society
          White Street Fitness Center
          43 White Street
          New York, NY
          Iaido Jodo Tu 8:00-9:30pm Su 11:00am-1:00pm
          Naginata Su 1:00-3:00pm
          Contact: John Prough (212)691-2891 Message No. jop2@mindspring.com

EUSKF
          Scarsdale Kyudokan
          Scarsdale, NY
          Sa 5:00-7:00pm

GNUSKF
          All Hallows HS Kendo Club
          111 East 164th St.
          Bronx, NY

GNUSKF
          Hudson River Kendo Club
          191 Main St
          Ossing, NY

GNUSKF
          Keio Academy of New York
          New York, NY

GNUSKF
          Lyceum Kennedy Japanese School
          One Cross Road
          Ardsley, NY

GNUSKF
          Shidogakuin Doshikan
          225 East 43rd Street (btwn 2-3 Aves)
          2nd Floor
          New York, NY
          Su 4:00-5:30pm Iaido 5:30-7:00pm Kendo-beginners&youth 7:00-8:30pm Kendo-adv.& keiko
          Tu 6:00-7:30pm Kendo-beginners&youth 7:30-9:30pm Kendo-adv.& keiko
          Th 6:00-7:30pm Kendo-beginners&youth 7:30-9:30pm Kendo-adv.& keiko

GNUSKF
          Shodokan Kendo Dojo
          NY

-------------------

Well, that's all of them. Good luck! Hope this helps! Oh, regarding your very last post, I don't know... Maybe somebody else here does? Anyone know?

Kaoru

Comment

you put your shinai in your pocket?

wow! ... i'm having a hard time picturing that in my mind! hehe...

I hope you're able to find the time for some real instruction. There're very good instructors in New York!

Good luck!

Comment

How, exactly, is carrying a bamboo stick improperly disrespectful?

Comment

Hehe, i'm 6'2", and i wear cargo pants (the baggy ones w/ lots of pockets). I've got a pocket that literally runs down the inside of my pant leg for the whole length - it's pretty cool.

Comment

Oh.. in responce to the location thinger, The buffalo Kendo Club is about an hour and a half drive, which isn't too bad. I wouldn't be *allowed* to drive that far, but i'll find time some weekend i guess - right now isn't too good though. I'm getting on a plane for China saturday (spending a week there, just for fun) - cool, eh?

-Murph

Comment

What level is your friend at? I would think if he's at least a shodan, he could at least show you the basics of kendo so you get a better feel for what its like to practice. Also, if he is good, I'm guessing he practices at a dojo himself. Maybe you could catch a ride with him.

Comment

not sure about namin it tho... since they break after about umm... 4 months or something, and if ur hitting trees with it, considerable faster i would imagine... anyways.. if u name ur sword, and it breaks, and u name it again... and that breaks... i dno... some people might suffer from mental problems about this... goin thru over 3 friends dyin a year... :>

Comment

Alrighty.. I'm (practicing new words here) trying to re-assemble the shinai. I've gotta get the tsukagawa and tsuru attached properly. I'm trying to use the directions on the Edinburgh Kento Club's manual.

It's got the knot in the leather loop on the tsukagawa being between the two parts of it, not in the big, upper loop. Mine isn't there, can i just tie it above, or should i get it there somehow? The knot looks too big to have slipped through one of the holes. Also, the section of leather that's wrapped around several times is depectied as being flat agains the shinai. Is the side coming from the right of the shinai in the back, or the side coming from the left of the shinai?

Also, does it number how many times i loops the Tsuru around that one part w/ many loops? or just as many as i've got tsuru to do?
                        -Matt

Comment

I've got the thing back together, and i think i've done all the knots right.

I think i may have sanded it slightly wrong, or something. If you hit one of two oposing slats, it bends inwards/slides/whatevfer perfectly. If you hit one of the other two , they bind together really strong right near that bump in the bamboo right between the nakayui and tsuba (second 'bump' from the top)

On the inside of the shinai here, there is a little thinger sticking in from each slat, should i sand them any?

-Matt

Comment

I've got the thing back together, and i think i've done all the knots right.

I think i may have sanded it slightly wrong, or something. If you hit one of two oposing slats, it bends inwards/slides/whatevfer perfectly. If you hit one of the other two , they bind together really strong right near that bump in the bamboo right between the nakayui and tsuba (second 'bump' from the top)

On the inside of the shinai here, there is a little thinger sticking in from each slat, should i sand them any?

-Matt
                            Hi!

First, about the dojo. It's a heck of a lot closer than mine! You're lucky! Mine is 2 hrs. 20 min, away, one way. I go twice a month, and my Mom and/or sister-in-law drives me. If you really want to learn, you'll try to see if you can get somebody to ride with you or something like that, so your family knows what you want to do.

Ok, now about the above post. All these problems you are having could be avoided if you just would decide to go to train at a proper dojo. Your sensei could then help you, anf your tree hitting days would be ended, because you'd be learning wonderful new ways to practice that do not involve hitting a poor defenseless tree, which also is very bad for your shinai. Besides, you should have more respect than that, for an object that represents a sword. Besides, I think you'd have a great time practicing and meeting new people. You seem to have some good enthusiasum so guide it with a real Kendo practice. Your enthusiasm will help you in the art.

I'm sorry you are having all these problems with it, but it can all be solved by going to a dojo. It's hard to try to fix it over the 'net. It's much easier if you have a live knowledgeable Kendoka helping you.

God luck! Try to get to that dojo!

Kaoru

Comment

lol.. i plan to get to a dojo eventually, but it's not happening in the near future. I've got school weekdays (no way to make the round trip and be back, plus everyone watches my back as to where i am), i've outa the country from this saturday to the next, christmas stuffs, my birthday, etc. Maybe early febuary? *sigh*

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X