X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pesky tsuka won't come off

So the other day i was trying to take a part a shinai to sand and oil it and the darn tsuka wouldn't come off so i tried using a towel and a jar opener but was having no luck. Then a co-worker found something, that ended up working really well:
    Nike Alpha grip
    i found this to worked really well to get those extra difficult tsuka to come off

only catch is that its $20.00 which is a bit much in my opinion for a piece of injection molded rubber.

Heavy rubber cleaning gloves work well.

Comment

Foul words also assist quite a lot. Dunno why - but they do. Try!

Comment

or leave it in the bathroom after someone has had a hot steamy shower. heat expands the leather, making it easier to take off

Comment

Elbow grease.

Comment

This has been covered before here and here.
            Steam works like a charm. No purchase necessary.

Comment

Some energetic suburi always works for me.

Comment

Elbow grease... nope

Swear words... nope

Using hands & feet to pull tsuka... nope

two tugs by sensei's teenaged son... voila!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's still elbow grease.

Comment

I have a brand new shinai, and use the same tsuka for both (since I'm poor and haven't bought another one yet).

Old shinai...no problem getting the tsuka on and off (due to the use)
                    new shinai...BIG problem getting the tsuka on and off. mostly on, I find. Thing never wants to get all the way over the handle. I figure it will get easier as I practice with it more and break in the leather handle

Comment

I have a brand new shinai, and use the same tsuka for both (since I'm poor and haven't bought another one yet).

Old shinai...no problem getting the tsuka on and off (due to the use)
                      new shinai...BIG problem getting the tsuka on and off. mostly on, I find. Thing never wants to get all the way over the handle. I figure it will get easier as I practice with it more and break in the leather handle

Comment

Working...
                      X