Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsuka leather wash anyone?

Hello all,

Recently I'm getting concerned because my white tsuka leather turn to blue and black painted by the kote. Can I wash it? if so, is there any correct way to do it?

Thank you

I don't think it really matters; I don't know anyone that tries to keep it white. If it starts getting hard and slippery from use/sweat, though, that's another problem. You can fix that with sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by atgm View Post
      I don't think it really matters; I don't know anyone that tries to keep it white. If it starts getting hard and slippery from use/sweat, though, that's another problem. You can fix that with sandpaper.
      Yes, it's getting slippery a little bit. And having a bit clean tsuka leather sounds better, at least for me.
      By the way, sandpaper? are you sure? doesn't it will decrease the thickness of the leather and eventualy will wreck it? I'm thinking about using a toothbrush with a glass of wather and a spoon of detergent. What do you say guys?

Comment

The tsuka will eventually wear out anyways. Sandpapering it lightly won't take too much leather off and will just 'rough' the surface up to make it easier to maintain grip. If you are really dead set on cleaning it though I would use a leather cleaner that contains no oil/lubricant to 'condition' the leather (you don't want to make it slippery).

Comment

Sandpaper. I mean, just using it is making it thinner. You really are going to have to replace your tsuka at some point and sandpapering it to keep it in a grippable condition is just part of maintenance, as far as I know.

Comment

One thing you could try is when mine get to that point I usually wet my kote a little. The wet palms almost lock the tsukagawa in place and I find it doesn't slip at all when I do this.

Comment

Thanks for all of your insight guys.. so I guess clean it using a toothbrush with detergent isn't a good idea?

Comment

Well it may work... but I have never tried doing it that way.

Comment

well mine get soaked from sweat anyway, however some people don't have sweaty hands, if it hasn't already, wetting it will cause it to harden and shrink some.

Comment

Don't bother cleaning it. They get dirty. They're also consumables. It will wear out, then you can get another one and it will look clean for a few weeks.

Comment

Gilding the lily.

Comment

Originally posted by FastKendo View Post
                        using a toothbrush with detergent isn't a good idea?
                        Especially not if you plan to use that toothbrush again...

Comment

For what it's worth, I always kind of considered it a "badge of honor" when the tsuka started to change color like that. Means that I've been using that shinai a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by atgm View Post
                            Especially not if you plan to use that toothbrush again...
                            LOL

Guys, thank you, I don't think I'll clean it now.

Comment

I'm with Shmur in that it changing color shows you (may be) training hard. Also, maybe more importantly, the placing of the blue-black will confirm to you - and your Sensei and Sempai - about your tenouchi's effectiveness. Waddaya say gals?

Comment

Working...
                              X