X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question number one

This will end up being part of a series of dumb questions as i try to learn everything.

What is the Writing just above the Tsuba in kanji and what does it mean?

thanks in advance
    KC

"Pointy end goes into opponent."

Actually I think it's just the manufacturer's name.

Comment

"This side towards enemy."

Iie. It's the manufacturer's name, in most cases, and maybe the name of the model.

Comment

Depends on the shinai. They're usually model names, or budo bon mots that mask as model names.

Assuming you're talking about the same place I think you're talking about. Post a pic, and I'm sure many of the kanji nerds (of which I am one) will be happy to provide a translation.
        Last edited by b8amack; 15th April 2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
          Depends on the shinai. They're usually model names, or budo bon mots that mask as model names.

Assuming you're talking about the same place I think you're talking about. Post a pic, and I'm sure many of the kanji nerds (of which I am one) will be happy to provide a translation.
          Yep .

Comment

If you take a picture if yours, there are plenty of Kanji-knowledgable entities on this forum that might be willing to help

Comment

"Hast thou slain the jabberwock my son?"

Comment

Just a Japanese disclaimer said : "you no sue me"

Comment

Or, "the only dumb question is the one not asked."

Comment

Thanks for all the crazy suggestion ^^ and all the help
                    Attached Files

Comment

It reads "drink Coca-Cola".

PS Welcome to Kendo World. Are you with Manitoba Kendo Club or University of Winnipeg?

Comment

I'm at the U of W with Namba Sensei.
                        Its pretty great I've been there for about a month now.

And thanks for the welcoming^^

Comment

You're in good hands with Corie. Hope you're still around next fall so we can say hi at the Winnipeg seminar. Is Bryn still training with you guys?

Comment

Ya he is still there, real nice guy, him and Adam helped me out so much.

O and ill be there (and hopefully not suck still...)
                            Last edited by caseyvill; 16th April 2010, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caseyvill View Post
                              Thanks for all the crazy suggestion ^^ and all the help
                              It is the tadayoshi shinai from Aoi. I have the same one, but it seems that they have changed the font slightly from the picture displayed on their website: http://www.budo-aoi.com/kendo/shinai/01_tadayoshi.asp.

Btw, I stopped by Aoi the other day with some friends to pick up some stuff and buy a new jissengata shinai, and was informed that a 30% increase in the shinai prices is right around the corner. They will only continue the prices they have now as long as the current stock lasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X