X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW SHINAI

I bought this cheap chinese shinai in chinatown. Its a size 39 round handle. It came with some sort of finishing giving it a glossy look. I know there is a finish on it because on each of the staves, inside the color is different; its bare bamboo. To prepare this shinai, as in oiling it, do I have to sand the outside to bare bamboo or should I lightly sand it down smooth. Thank you in advance!

I think you only need to sand the edges of each stave. The sanding, as I understand it, is to prevent splintering when the slats rub against each other. The glossy finish might be from the store oiling it before hand.

Cheers,

James

Comment

Originally posted by terloungbee
      I bought this cheap chinese shinai in chinatown. Its a size 39 round handle. It came with some sort of finishing giving it a glossy look. I know there is a finish on it because on each of the staves, inside the color is different; its bare bamboo. To prepare this shinai, as in oiling it, do I have to sand the outside to bare bamboo or should I lightly sand it down smooth. Thank you in advance!
      Yes, and when you are done sanding and oiling it, throw it away and buy a new one. Continue this until you realize you don't need to sand the outside of the staves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
        Yes, and when you are done sanding and oiling it, throw it away and buy a new one. Continue this until you realize you don't need to sand the outside of the staves.
        Whyz dontz youz give himz yerz??????????since youz quitz da kendoz & dontz havez any usez 4 itz....

Comment

Working...
        X