• Show
Clear All

• E-Bogu Obaru Oval grip Dobari Shinai ?'s

Has anybody had any experience with this shinai? If yes, please post your
    opinions.

Originally posted by JLF
    Has anybody had any experience with this shinai? If yes, please post your
    opinions.
    I actually have one of these. I am not sure how I feel about it. The grip is not too thick, which gives me problems with my left hand (could also be bad technique though ). My hands are a little large. It is nice having an oval grip, but I would prefer the tsuka to be thicker. Plus I generally prefer chokuto (is that the right term?) rather than dobari shinai. At least they are reasonably priced, so if you decide you do not like it you will not be bankrupt, and if you decide you love it you could easily buy a few more.

Comment

Getting a proper grip on your shaft is very important in kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
        Yepz....youz haz much experiencez in dat....

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
          How true, how true.
          Oh dear, where the hell is this thread going?

Comment

SH6 Madake

I'm also considering the SH6 Madake sold by E-guchi. Does anyone have any opinions on this shinai?

Comment

Originally posted by JLF
              I'm also considering the SH6 Madake sold by E-guchi. Does anyone have any opinions on this shinai?
              I have been thinking about that one. I do not have any info on it, I should probably email Eguchi for the circumference of the tsuka...
              As far as service goes, I am thrilled with e-bogu, which is also why I decided to give that shinai a try.

Comment

I have two of the e bogu oval grips. They have a good feel and it's durable because it's treated but i still recommend oiling and sanding it down before use.

One thing, make sure if you get a 39 shinai, you get a 39 handle. They gave me 38s on my ovals and it changes the balance. Luckily I had a spare 39 tsukagawa on me.

Comment

Steliosk and Andoy, thank you for your input.

Steliosk, please keep me informed on what findings you encounter regarding the SH6 Madake sold by E-guchi.

Comment

I've decided to go with the Obaru Dobari Koban Gata Shinai from E-Bogu. I was torn between that one and the SH6 Madake Dobari Koban Gata Shinai from E-Guchi, but after dealing with the two companies I was very pleased with the customer service of E-Bogu.

I will post a review.

Comment

During the steveston tournament, E-bogu and Eguchi were there selling their wares and it was cool because both companies sold very very different shinai.

I found that E-bogu has 'thicker' bamboo. The individual staves were clearly fatter than the eguchi ones.

The Eguchi shinais were thinner and the staves were very thin. Especially towards the tip.

Anyways, I've never had experience with Eguchi shinais. The E-bogu ones work fine but I guess it's just personal preference. Whether you like em thick or thin!

Comment

Originally posted by Andoy
                        During the steveston tournament, E-bogu and Eguchi were there selling their wares and it was cool because both companies sold very very different shinai.

I found that E-bogu has 'thicker' bamboo. The individual staves were clearly fatter than the eguchi ones.

The Eguchi shinais were thinner and the staves were very thin. Especially towards the tip.

Anyways, I've never had experience with Eguchi shinais. The E-bogu ones work fine but I guess it's just personal preference. Whether you like em thick or thin!
                        Have you compared their koban-style shinais?

Comment

Originally posted by JLF
                          Steliosk and Andoy, thank you for your input.

Steliosk, please keep me informed on what findings you encounter regarding the SH6 Madake sold by E-guchi.
                          Well, E-guchi replied back to me, told me that it is dobari style, but did not tell me what the circumference is, so I do not know. In the meantime, I made a quasi-koban for myself by using for the mune and edge staves from a standard E-bogu practice shinai and on the side staves from an E-bogu Hyoei dobari shinai, which are thicker and slightly wider. I tried it out during last Tuesday's practice, found it preferable to my Obaru and Hyoei .

Comment

Originally posted by steliosk
                            Well, E-guchi replied back to me, told me that it is dobari style, but did not tell me what the circumference is, so I do not know. In the meantime, I made a quasi-koban for myself by using for the mune and edge staves from a standard E-bogu practice shinai and on the side staves from an E-bogu Hyoei dobari shinai, which are thicker and slightly wider. I tried it out during last Tuesday's practice, found it preferable to my Obaru and Hyoei .
                            Very nice!

Comment

Stroud Sensei (from bogubag.com) emailed me this morning to say that he's interested in working with Koei in producing a koban shinai.

Comment

Working...
                              X