X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinias and accesories

Do you have to buy a specific Tsuba and Stopper for a specific Shinia? I'm just going to start out with a basic generic brand Shinia that comes with everything, but I was trying to figure out how to buy some of the better Shinia's at < www.e-bogu.com >. It seems that there are many different types of Shinia, not just the Dobari and the Chokuto. If I were to get a Tsuba and a Stopper would it work for both the Dobari and Chokuto Sinia's?

Originally posted by Merrick
    Do you have to buy a specific Tsuba and Stopper for a specific Shinia? I'm just going to start out with a basic generic brand Shinia that comes with everything, but I was trying to figure out how to buy some of the better Shinia's at < www.e-bogu.com >. It seems that there are many different types of Shinia, not just the Dobari and the Chokuto. If I were to get a Tsuba and a Stopper would it work for both the Dobari and Chokuto Sinia's?
    Different styles of shinai differ in the thickness. (even shinais made by different companies differ) But I have found ebogu shinais quite thick and similar in thickness. A larger tsuba and the stopper should fit both those styles just fine.

But if you run into a problem with owning a thick and thin shinai... I ususally get a larger tsuba, that can fit both shinais (fits the thicker one perfectly, and a little big for the thinner one), and get a good stopper. The ebogu Fudo - tsuba dome is really good. Slap that on, and it doesn't matter how big the tsuba is, it'll be glued on.

JC

Comment

I'm just going to start out with a basic generic brand Shinia that comes with everything, but I was trying to figure out how to buy some of the better Shinia's at < www.e-bogu.com >.

Good. E-Bogu has a several very nice shinai to choose from, but stick to an inexpensive practice shinai at first. They tend to get beat up in practice, especially if/when you strike a men fence. (Many people, especially if they have an inferior or worn out men, will tilt their head back to receive men, so you wind up hitting the bars.) It also takes a while before you develop a feel for the balance you prefer before investing in a more expenseive shinai.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick
        Apart from Shinais for women or children there are other sorts of Shinais?
        damn I didn't know!
        Can someone explain to me what the difference is?

Comment

Working...
        X