Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a little help, picking a shinai

Hello
    First i would like to say congratulations with this forum, it's very helpfull.

I started +/- 1 month ago at kendo, and now it's the time to start buying things.

The first thing i would like to have is a shinai, so i can practise.

The problem is dont know which one to choose. I'm thinking about buying the Take Kunihiro Bessaku from eurobogu, but is it good?

And is there a tsuba included in that?

Thanks

If its your first shinai pick something cheap so that when it breaks you won't be out good money. If you want you can buy a second good shinai for backup use and tourneys but you really should practice with a cheaper one. I would go for just the "complete shinai(w/o tsuba" since its cheap, comes already with the leather (the take does not) and is just a standard practice shinai. Also you can get a plastic tsuba .52 and a tsubadome .40 to finish off the shinai and you should be set.

Comment

well, since the both shinais are almost at the same price, and money isnt that big deadl (yet ) for me.

So i should go for the "standard one" with a tsuba & tsubadome?

btw this is webpage: http://www.eurobogu.net/index.php?uc...7edb9cd3ae5c03

Comment

You have to allow for adding the leather pieces and tsuba. After you do that, the one you originally picked will be nearly double the price, and as a beginner you'll break it just as fast and never know the difference. Buy the standard one, 31-129. It comes complete except for tsuba. Doesn't your dojo sell shinai? Many people buy their first shinai through the dojo.

Comment

My personal opinion is the standard with tsuba and tsubadome since its cheaper and as a beginner you won't notice the difference in the shinai's. Also you really should check with your dojo, i get $15 practice shinais and i know many places have similar deals.

Comment

i suggest the Complete one without tsuba. As a beginner you shouldn't have an expensive shinai, what if you found out kendo isn't the right martial art for you. then u've wasted a perfectly awesome shinai. so go with a practice shinai. Best advice is get it from your dojo.

Comment

Slightly Off Topic

I have been doing Kendo for about a year and a half. I go to class 3-4 days a week, although each class is just over an hour. I have broken all of 3 shinai. Now, my question is: am I a gentler kenshi than I imagine or are some people just hard on their equipment?

Comment

Most people only break 3-4 a year OW but by the same token beginners usually beat their first shinai up pretty bad even if it never breaks. Beginners tend to hit much harder and abuse shinais while learning strikes by hitting mengane and such. Even if you aren't a beginner why beat up an excellent shinai on basic strikes?

Comment

ok, i've ordered the complete shinai with a tsuba and a tsubadome from eurobogu.net. i hope it wont be long before i got it...

Comment

I hope it will arrive soon Shank.

Do you train with Isshin Dotai in Bruges ?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesB
                      I hope it will arrive soon Shank.

Do you train with Isshin Dotai in Bruges ?
                      Yes i do
                      We also had a guest from ghent, who trained with us
                      It was good fun again, i'm looking forward for the next lesson
                      Last edited by shank`; 8th April 2004, 09:20 PM.

Comment

by the way, i've recived the e-mail from eurobogu, but i ordered by "Mail", what should i do now? Go to the bank and pay the money, by banktransfer?

It's my first time

Comment

why don't you ask eurobogu? but i have to warn you: they are quite slow in responding to emails

Comment

Originally posted by moetl
                            why don't you ask eurobogu? but i have to warn you: they are quite slow in responding to emails
                            yes i nodiced that already
                            btw i said in the order that i should pay the thing, but can other people also pay the thing? like in my case, my dad..

Comment

If u think they are slow try e-bogu who never reply and if u call them up some of the asian call centre chix don't know an ounce of english..i gave up talking to them at the end. Took them 5 minutes to understand one english word. Anyone they have good quality products.

Comment

Working...
                              X